vB4 Migration

Cadellin

Ive been a vBulletin admin for probably 10 years but the time has come for a major site upgrade and I’m eying up the alternatives to vBulletin 5

I’ve been testing alternatives and had a bad experience with bbPress which very helpfully emailed every user an email every time their name was mentioned in a post. Pretty embarrassing.

So firstly my question is can I safely import my vB database without notifying users?

Can I import my vB database for testing and update it at the time of switching?

What features of vB4 are not available in XF (apart from CMS)?

Which settings are not ported? Eg permissions, user groups etc.

Im also looking at bridging to Wordpress 4.9. Is there anything special I should know about XF plug-ins vs. vBulletin?

Thanks for any answers you can offer.

Hmmm ... I just tried the CLI importer (after following all the steps) and I get an error after Step 1 with the following message:-

[InvalidArgumentException]
Unknown column 'match_regex'

Understand that the VB4 importer is marked Beta at the moment, but would like to understand what is causing the issue, and how to fix.

Now that you're licensed, could you create a new thread? This one could be a bug so if you could create it with the relevant details in the XenForo bug reports [2.x] forum that'd be ideal.

In terms of albums it should be possible to import them into our Gallery add-on, but it's not compatible with vB5.

Hello Chris,

Is this a standard feature of the official XF importer? So, when we want to migrate a VB3.8 board (with User Albums) to XF2.0, will our User Albums be transported to the Media Gallery?

It’s part of the XFMG add on itself so a separate import. Unfortunately XFMG 2.x doesn’t yet have any importers so my recommendation would be to import into XF 1.5 and MG 1.1 first and then upgrade to 2.0.

It’s part of the XFMG add on itself so a separate import. Unfortunately XFMG 2.x doesn’t yet have any importers so my recommendation would be to import into XF 1.5 and MG 1.1 first and then upgrade to 2.0.

Hello Chris,

I am not up-to-date with the latest XF and XFMG releases, but does your advise still stand?

In Q4 2018 I am planning to switch over from vBulletin 3.8.11 to Xenforo 2.x and I would like to know what I need to prepare for this. Do I understand it correctly that if I want to retain our User's Albums that I need to purchase XF Media Gallery and that this product will then offer not only User Albums but also the overall gallery aspect of it to the imported vB User Albums?

Top Bottom