1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 VB4.2 import from remote MySQL server - good idea?

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Monsta_AU, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Monsta_AU

Monsta_AU Member

Hi all;

I am currently running a VB 4 forum, and I want to import it into XF 1.2 - no issues there. Currently, the VB forum is on a server in Australia, while the XF install is on a US-based server.

I attempted an import last night, all went okay until I got to the Private Message import where it appeared to fall over.

My question is if it is okay to import into XF when the source database is quite remote and the speed is not great? Or should I export the Database, import it to the XF local server, and run the import as localhost?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It is recommended that both installations are on the same server.

All you need for the import is the database, attachments and avatars.
    Monsta_AU likes this.
  3. Monsta_AU

Monsta_AU Member

Thanks Brogan, I thought it probably would be better and faster to do it that way.
  4. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

5. Monsta_AU

Monsta_AU Member

Import was much better from localhost - made the whole process faster and smoother.

Thanks Jake, I have read all that. This was a testing site which I just blow away and re-do from scratch as required. Once I do the real import I will be using that process to run my development & testing environment.