vB3 owners, show yourself!

I got 20+ licenses, and they are aching. After 3.8.4 it's been nothing but troubles, and I stopped upgrading. I am all for a convert to xenforo, glad to hear vb3 import is included.
So, taking away the obvious 3rd party mods that would need to be re-coded (is someone planning an XF "vb.org"?), what exactly will be converted from VB -> XF?It would be good to know this info, so that we can clean up prior to the conversion.

I'm thinking;
  • Users
  • Usergroups
  • Forums
  • Threads
  • Thread Prefixes?
  • Attachments
  • Calendars
  • Ranks
  • Promotion levels?
Anything I missed? Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but it is relevant to this discussion.

Me too. Would have gone the vB4 route but can't see the point, had a very long and hard look at IBP, don't like that either. So xF it is, a steal at $100 and if I miss the 24 hour sale I will be camping in Kier's garden until I get it for $100 !!! Surely it can't be hard to locate a barefooted coder with a home counties accent? :)

Strangely enough the more I think about the bits I'll miss from vB3 the more I wonder if their absence will help focus my forum/community on what it should be doing - communicating and networking.

Strangely enough the more I think about the bits I'll miss from vB3 the more I wonder if their absence will help focus my forum/community on what it should be doing - communicating and networking.
When we upgraded from an older version of VB to 3.8.x, I found it incredibly cathartic to disable mods/hacks that (frankly) were no longer being used to their potential...and converting to XF is giving me a similar feeling. A "wipe the slate clean" approach, if you will :)

Gonna hit the beta or wait for the gold?
bouncy.gif

If thread prefixes aren't implemented by the time it rolls out gold it might just be easier to stick the prefix at the start of the thread title during the import process.

Still running 3.8.4 here with vbadvanced

Will probably make the switch once xenadvanced is available, until then I plan to do a clean install in a subdirectory and have some members give me feedback on it

I'm running 3.8 now... but I bought a vB4 only to find out that it couldn't run as promised for large forums. So even though it is bought and paid for, I'm still using vB3. When xF comes out, I hope that it delivers as promised. If it does, I'll migrate.

When it's time to renew my vBulletin license, that is when version 5.0 comes out, and if i can get a Gallery mod and a Chat system, i will probably end up switching. Since i will have to pay for a new license, might as well pay for something that deserves my money...

I may upgrade but I need albums/tags/thread prefixes to be available and able to import. I also wonder if custom profile fields can be imported.

I will buy a license anyhow to get some experience with the software.

Ah, good point about custom profile fields - don't quite know how that would work though as they are custom and therefore different for everyone, in both number and content requirement.

Top Bottom