vB4 owners, show yourself!

I'm curious though-- those of you with vB4 and needing a CMS/Blog... why not just use the vB4 publishing suite? I bought it and it has both a CMS and Blog system.

I TRIED to make the CMS of the suite work...after a week of trying, I said the heck with it and went to vbAdvanced. I could have stayed with my 3. series but I needed the CMS and was giving the one IB put in a shot at it...

Didn't work, so now, in order to convert, I have to wait because the first converter is the 3 series not the 4.

Brian at vbAdvanced has already mentioned a possible xfAdvanced. If he does that, you could use it instead of WordPress and his integrate nicely with the forum. Check mine out: Secret City Treasures

I guess it would depend on how he implements it. I don't actually like vbadvanced - it doesn't feel like a CMS to me and I have to admit - i really don't like the way it looks, but that maybe because its designed for VB. We'll see, but I'm more interested in wordpress as a CMS solution because it's solid.

vBadvanced can be nice to setup a portal like home page for your forum, but indeed it's hardly a full blown CMS.

Really depends on your needs if it fits.

I guess it would depend on how he implements it. I don't actually like vbadvanced - it doesn't feel like a CMS to me and I have to admit - i really don't like the way it looks, but that maybe because its designed for VB. We'll see, but I'm more interested in wordpress as a CMS solution because it's solid.
vBadvanced can be nice to setup a portal like home page for your forum, but indeed it's hardly a full blown CMS.

Really depends on your needs if it fits.
Considering that the CMS of vb 4 was a mess, vbAdvanced was a solid replacement

Vb4 Suite ... (pre sale offer) but I didn't upgrade either from VB3.8. Guess why... ;-) So I am really looking forward to switch to XenForo as soon as possible! XenForo really seems to be the light at the end of a long and buggy tunnel.

I'm a vB4 owner, and quite happy with vB4. xF looks good as well.

The one thing that sticks out as a not finished feature in vB4 is the Stylevar system. From the video I've seen here, xF styles both seem to be easy to edit and, default style is easier on the eye than the current v4 default (less clutter = important to us), and the hair-shampoo-bottle-colors :) should be easy to get rid of.

Is there a overview somewhere, listing the differences between xF and vB?
If there isn't one by v1 release, I'll probably do one for some friends that want to wait to switch.

Bought a VB4 suite license 3 months ago, second hand (was about 1/3rd of the normal price), still haven't "upgraded" (more like downgraded) to vb 4.
I just find it to be a horrible peice of software compared to prior versions, it's the first time in 8 years of using VB, that I haven't upgraded right away

I have a VB4 Suite site which I will not convert. However I am buying a license for another site which does not have a forum. It's a wordpress site which is sitting there and yet earning me a little revenue due to some good posts. So the traffic is there, hoping that xen is just the steroid it needs! :)

I bought vb4 standard two months ago. I am running Chinese forums. I saw there is a chinese support site runniing at utf-8 and some forums running qt vb3.8 utf-8. So I click buy buttom in China site, then directed me to English site. Nightmare began. At first place, I think its a user interface issue. I take a week to translate the front end. Then test with larger post, about hundreds charcters. Everything messed. Surfing the web, find out only China modified version support utf-8. Issue ticket support, they said I am legible China support and push the problem to China site. After weeks liase with China and English site, I can only see the China support forum, but can not download Chinese version.

While surfing VB site, a man post a thread about XF. I visited this site and decided throw away the vb. Up t o now, I have two xf licenses. Vb has tons function, only lack one must have function.

Top Bottom