vb3.8.11 import process

plcguru

Sorry but I'm a noob now ... did the initial vb install almost 20 yrs ago lol but I'd like to at least try this conversion myself.

I've been reading through these forums to try and understand the import process prior to buying XF.
I'm running vb3.8.11 and will move it to XF.
It's on a VPS with Linux Centos 7.x 64 Bit / 2 cpu / 50 GB HD / 2 GB RAM
The vb3 forum has about 130k threads and 850k posts.
1- Any ballpark guess about how long to import it into a new XF setup? (i.e. 1hr or 5hrs or 1 day or ??)

I read here https://xenforo.com/community/threads/importing-guidelines.25325/ that said process is as below but I have questions in bold text:
  • install XF in a temporary directory (do not create any content - members, forums, threads, etc. at all)
    2- So, if my live vb3 forum is at forumdomain.com then I can install this XF to newxf.forumdomain.com for example?
  • install add-ons
  • install styles
  • set up the options, configuration, and style
  • take a backup of XF (this will be the clean master backup)
  • 3- At this point, I should backup existing live vb3 forum files and db. Then install that vb3 backup as a duplicate forum running at oldvb.forumdomain.com
  • perform the import
  • check it all works as expected
  • restore from the backup if you need to do it again (optional, repeat as necessary)
  • archive/move/delete the old (VB/IPB/PHPBB) installation and move the XF installation to the desired location (presumably where the old installation was)
  • update the Board URL in the options
  • implement redirection scripts as required
  • enjoy
Thanks for the advice!!

1. Roughly 2 hours but expect up to 4.
2. No, not a sub-domain, create a new folder like /forum.
3. It will import from your active db. You should turn that forum off from new posts. You could also do as you say and create a duplicate db.

1. Roughly 2 hours but expect up to 4.
2. No, not a sub-domain, create a new folder like /forum.
3. It will import from your active db. You should turn that forum off from new posts. You could also do as you say and create a duplicate db.
Thanks for the confirmation.

I guess I should have noted that the vb3.8.11 forum is running php 5.x but xf want 7.x
How would I do the test setup to make sure everything good if I just install into new folder since I'd have to upgrade php n that would kill my live vb3 forum?
That's why I was thinking subdomain with it having php7... but if I could just do folder on same domain that would be easier maybe for me.
Thanks

XF2 will run on PHP 5.6.0 if necessary.

Or use FastCgi to set up different PHP versions.

For doing the test imports, make a dump of the VB database and use that to import from.
The live site won't be affected then.

When it comes to the final import, just close the VB forum and import directly from it.

Getting closer to actually doing it... just want to make sure I'm doing it right :p

1- Should I install XF in the same directory as my existing VB3?
If I do, are any of the VB3 files overwritten... I'm worried if XF fails at the import I'd also lose my live VB3 one and will have to restore it, etc...

2- Are any style colors, etc imported into XF when I do the upgrade from VB3 to XF?

Thanks again!

No. XF must be installed in an empty directory.
Ok, so vb3 forum is at domain.com/forum
I install xf to domain.com/newforum
I perform upgrade
Verify xf is working with the vb3 data n all is well
Delete contents of domain.com/forum that contained the vb3 files
Move contents of domain.com/newforum that held the upgraded xf forum to domain.com/forum

Is this correct process?
Thanks yet again

Getting closer to actually doing it... just want to make sure I'm doing it right :p

1- Should I install XF in the same directory as my existing VB3?
If I do, are any of the VB3 files overwritten... I'm worried if XF fails at the import I'd also lose my live VB3 one and will have to restore it, etc...

2- Are any style colors, etc imported into XF when I do the upgrade from VB3 to XF?

Thanks again!
Nothing in terms of vBulletin code or settings (other than permissions) are imported into XF on a migration. All you need is the vB database and a path to the vB attachments. The vB database is imported into a new XF database, and the attachments are also migrated.

The XF manual for importing is very very clear about the process. In addition, there are numerous threads on this forum detailing the experiences of, and tips from, people who have migrated vBulletin forums to XenForo. It's a MUCH easier and better process than it used to be.

The way you desribe the migration is probably the easiest and best way to do it -- different directories on the same host. Once the new XenForo installation is up and running, and the migration/database import is complete, then it's a very simple matter to move the "old" vBulletin forum to another directory, and move the new XenForo forum to the directory that your old forum used to use (if you want to keep the same URL).

In my situation, it was more complicated, because I was also moving from a managed hosting setup to a VPS setup with a totally different provider, so I had to create a new domain with the VPS hoster.

I kept my old vBulletin forum running (but turned off) on the managed hosting provider for a few months as a reference and to ensure that my migration was successful. I was glad that I did, because for one of my add-ons (VaultWiki), I needed to be able to view the "old" VW pages on the vB forum to ensure that they displayed correctly and were complete on the XF installation. This was nothing to do with XF, and everything to do with VaultWiki. After a few months, I deleted my old vBulletin forum, and migrated and pointed my "old" vB forum domain to the "new" XF forum.

It's imperative that you have multiple backups of your vBulletin database (and preferably your attachments) so that you don't lose any data.

Last edited:
Top Bottom