Fixed Using EmojiOne Smiles, "Cool" is wrong

I'm going to move this to bugs.

This is happening because the cool smilie and the emoji overlap with short codes. I believe that strictly speaking we prioritize smilies over emoji, but when it comes to short code conversion, we don't consider the overlap. We likely need to not convert emoji short codes that are also smilies.

Actually, technically this is documented as part of the "Convert short code to emoji / smilies", which I was going to recommend you disable. However, it may be preferable to change this behavior given some other changes made recently.

Thanks for creating this bug report :). Any changes would be welcomed here, so that smilies in the editor don't get converted into unrelated emojis in post previews etc. There was some related discussion to this in the emoji HYS thread.

not sure if this is is relevant to same discussion. one thing i tried just after upgrading.

not sure why it showed unamused when i typed happy.

There's a bunch of metadata for emoji that we don't necessarily display, but is factored into our search results (there's actually quite a lot of it and there's an overall net benefit in using it because it (mostly) returns decent results).

In this particular case it is matching a keyword of unhappy.

There's a bunch of metadata for emoji that we don't necessarily display, but is factored into our search results (there's actually quite a lot of it and there's an overall net benefit in using it because it (mostly) returns decent results).

In this particular case it is matching a keyword of unhappy.

View attachment 194343
It's for these kinds of posts that we need an "Informational" type reaction. :D

Well, yes, we've noticed that too. Rather unfortunate when trying to rationalise this :)

The metadata is provided by EmojiOne. I can't recall if I mentioned it to them or not but we probably should.

That's the one 👍

I think we concluded in that case that there wasn't much we can do. All we can do is attempt to fish out any metadata we think is inconsistent or wrong (we have a script which copies it over) but I'm not certain we want to be doing that :)

We could also limit some of the metadata we search through but that might affect the quality of the results returned.

Thank you for reporting this issue. It has now been resolved and we are aiming to include it in a future XF release (2.1.1).

Change log:
When converting emoji shortcodes, ignore any that are also smilies. This effectively prioritizes smilies over emojis on conflict. Adjust the emoji autocompleter to match this behavior.
Any changes made as a result of this issue being resolved may not be rolled out here until later.

Thank you for reporting this issue. It has now been resolved and we are aiming to include it in a future XF release (2.1.1).

Change log:

Any changes made as a result of this issue being resolved may not be rolled out here until later.

🆒🆒🆒

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Change log:

There is still an issue with this in 2.1.3:

Top Bottom