1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Slowing Down

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by jor956, May 3, 2011.

1. jor956

jor956 Active Member

Users on my website (mostly staff) have been saying that after a while the website gets slow for them; we tried making a new account and it was fast; is there any way to fix this??

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Does it slow down for you and others, or just a handful of people?
    Are there any particular times of day when it slows down?
    Are you on a shared server or VPS?
    Which browser are the affected users using - Firefox is notorious for getting slower the longer it is left open.

3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Are you experiencing slowness problems? How is it being slow? What kind of server are you using (shared, vps, dedicated, etc)?

4. jor956

jor956 Active Member

I haven't experienced any slowness, I've only heard it from a handful of people, all using mostly IE on windows or using Chrome.
    As for the times, I really don't know, but I think they've experienced it all the time.
    The website is on a shared server.
    As I states above, they are mostly using IE or Chrome, but some tried using Firefox and said that nothing was affected.
    And I don't know about the details too much, it's not happening to me.
    Could somebody go on my forums here and report whether it is slow or not for them?

5. jor956

jor956 Active Member

Also, apparently they only experience slowness when they're logged in.. I don't fully understand this yet..

6. Brogan

Seems fine to me.

I would need a test account to check how it is when logged in but I don't anticipate it being any different.

I suspect the problems will be down to the shared server you are on.

7. jor956

jor956 Active Member

Would you recommend that I buy a dedicated IP? I've thought about it, but I didn't really know whether it was worth it or not, but if users cannot access the forums at a sufficient speed I guess I am obliged to do that ;)

8. Brogan

That's a decision only you can make.

A VPS is more expensive but you do have more control over it (root access) and shouldn't encounter issues related to slowing down, etc., assuming of course you have sufficient resources available.

9. jor956

jor956 Active Member

I don't know whether my hoster offers VPS, I'll try to find out.

10. Brogan

There are plenty of others who do, if they don't :)

Search in the off topic forum for 'host' - you'll get quite a few threads returned.

11. jor956

jor956 Active Member

Ah, I've found one; but now comes the trouble of copying everything over...

12. James

James Well-Known Member

Well if the slowness is only for a handful of users, that doesn't seem like a software bug.

I'm gonna ask this, but it's very unlikely that it's true:
    Are these users discouraged?

13. jor956

jor956 Active Member

I've realised that it's the site :p And no they are not discouraged; but if I copied the entire contents of my forum onto my new server would it work? I'm kinda new to having a website :p

14. James

James Well-Known Member

There are so many factors involved, especially considering you're on a shared server. It could be a PC-related problem, it could be that the server you're on (not necessarily your site) is under heavy load, it could be the distance from the client's PC to the server.

You can, by all means, try using a new server and see if that helps.

15. jor956

jor956 Active Member

I don't think I'm very good at choosing hosters xD But I believe I've made the right choice this time.

16. Brogan

17. jor956

jor956 Active Member

I see :p Thank you for your assistance in this matter.