Users Slowing Down

jor956

Users on my website (mostly staff) have been saying that after a while the website gets slow for them; we tried making a new account and it was fast; is there any way to fix this??

Does it slow down for you and others, or just a handful of people?
Are there any particular times of day when it slows down?
Are you on a shared server or VPS?
Which browser are the affected users using - Firefox is notorious for getting slower the longer it is left open.

I haven't experienced any slowness, I've only heard it from a handful of people, all using mostly IE on windows or using Chrome.
As for the times, I really don't know, but I think they've experienced it all the time.
The website is on a shared server.
As I states above, they are mostly using IE or Chrome, but some tried using Firefox and said that nothing was affected.
And I don't know about the details too much, it's not happening to me.
Could somebody go on my forums here and report whether it is slow or not for them?

Seems fine to me.

I would need a test account to check how it is when logged in but I don't anticipate it being any different.

I suspect the problems will be down to the shared server you are on.

Seems fine to me.

I would need a test account to check how it is when logged in but I don't anticipate it being any different.

I suspect the problems will be down to the shared server you are on.
Would you recommend that I buy a dedicated IP? I've thought about it, but I didn't really know whether it was worth it or not, but if users cannot access the forums at a sufficient speed I guess I am obliged to do that ;)

That's a decision only you can make.

A VPS is more expensive but you do have more control over it (root access) and shouldn't encounter issues related to slowing down, etc., assuming of course you have sufficient resources available.

That's a decision only you can make.

A VPS is more expensive but you do have more control over it (root access) and shouldn't encounter issues related to slowing down, etc., assuming of course you have sufficient resources available.
I don't know whether my hoster offers VPS, I'll try to find out.

There are plenty of others who do, if they don't :)

Search in the off topic forum for 'host' - you'll get quite a few threads returned.

Also, apparently they only experience slowness when they're logged in.. I don't fully understand this yet..
Well if the slowness is only for a handful of users, that doesn't seem like a software bug.

I'm gonna ask this, but it's very unlikely that it's true:
Are these users discouraged?

Well if the slowness is only for a handful of users, that doesn't seem like a software bug.

I'm gonna ask this, but it's very unlikely that it's true:
Are these users discouraged?
I've realised that it's the site :P And no they are not discouraged; but if I copied the entire contents of my forum onto my new server would it work? I'm kinda new to having a website :P

There are so many factors involved, especially considering you're on a shared server. It could be a PC-related problem, it could be that the server you're on (not necessarily your site) is under heavy load, it could be the distance from the client's PC to the server.

You can, by all means, try using a new server and see if that helps.

There are so many factors involved, especially considering you're on a shared server. It could be a PC-related problem, it could be that the server you're on (not necessarily your site) is under heavy load, it could be the distance from the client's PC to the server.

You can, by all means, try using a new server and see if that helps.
I don't think I'm very good at choosing hosters xD But I believe I've made the right choice this time.

Top Bottom