XF 1.4 Username CSS stopped working.

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 91401
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 91401

I'm using;

Code:
<span class='fsemember'></span>

In the "Username CSS" for the default member group (usergroup id: 2)

it was working perfectly until today, every other usergroup shows the colour it is intended too but for some reason the default usergroup for my forum has suddenly stopped showing the CSS mark-up in;

Staff Now Online (all usergroup colours broken even though code implemented in properly, was literally working fine 5 minutes ago)

******* - Modern Forum Statistics (only default usergroup CSS mark-up not working, all other usergroups display as intended)

TaigaChat (again all usergroups apart from default registered user group work as intended with their CSS mark-up)

here is the CSS i'm using in the EXTRA.css file in both light and dark styles;

Code:
.username .style3
{
color: #FFFFFF;
font-weight: bold;
}

.username .style4 {
    color: #0080FF;
}

.username .fsemember {
    color: #51EDA4;
}

In the "Username CSS" for the default member group (usergroup id: 2)
You're putting that in the username CSS box? You can't do that -- you have to put CSS there. I couldn't comment why that would have worked because the code you enter there is only output to CSS so it shouldn't have ever worked.

You're putting that in the username CSS box? You can't do that -- you have to put CSS there. I couldn't comment why that would have worked because the code you enter there is only output to CSS so it shouldn't have ever worked.
well it does, its how I get username colours to change when on either light/dark themes to suit the style better.

It does work, and it is a very nifty way of styling one usergroup differently on opposite skins. By using that you can keep the code constant but change the class in each respective EXTRA.css.

This explains how to correctly apply user group styling: https://xenforo.com/help/user-group-styling/

Did you even read my post or did you just see the title and post a link? This was my last resort, I'd already googled, searched the forums and read the help documents and guides, I posted to try and get a more direct response from a webmaster/xenforo forum owner themselves as I'd found no help in anything I'd came across while searching, so thanks for the not so great help.

We fixed the issue and this does work, very well actually.

Reactions: j0e
Did you even read my post or did you just see the title and post a link? This was my last resort, I'd already googled, searched the forums and read the help documents and guides, I posted to try and get a more direct response from a webmaster/xenforo forum owner themselves as I'd found no help in anything I'd came across while searching, so thanks for the not so great help.

We fixed the issue and this does work, very well actually.

I think if the developer told me it wasn't designed to work like that... I'd assume that they would know what was correct and not think that just because it happens to work now that it will work as designed in the future... but that's just me.
Thing is... don't gripe later when it stops working again because you are doing it in a non-supported/designed way.

I think if the developer told me it wasn't designed to work like that... I'd assume that they would know what was correct and not think that just because it happens to work now that it will work as designed in the future... but that's just me.
Thing is... don't gripe later when it stops working again because you are doing it in a non-supported/designed way.

This "non-supported" way is a LOT better than just enterting custom css into that section when editing usergroups. This gives me perfect functionality on my board when using a dark and light styled theme(s), using this I'm able to switch username colours dependant on usergroup to match the style/theme that the user is on so that the usernames are always clear, I don't see why this would be "patched" or messed with and changed, it is clearly suppose to work like that, all you're doing is using a valid <span> tag to call some CSS.

This "non-supported" way is a LOT better than just enterting custom css into that section when editing usergroups. This gives me perfect functionality on my board when using a dark and light styled theme(s), using this I'm able to switch username colours dependant on usergroup to match the style/theme that the user is on so that the usernames are always clear, I don't see why this would be "patched" or messed with and changed, it is clearly suppose to work like that, all you're doing is using a valid <span> tag to call some CSS.
I guess what you are having a hard time understanding is that the DEVELOPER of the software has already indicated that is an unsupported method. It may be "better"... but that does not negate the fact that it is not a supported method.... and therefore it's not "clearly" supposed to work like that since the DEVELOPER of the forum script told you it wasn't.

I guess we will all just need to acknowledge the fact that you know more about the script than the folks that coded it.

I guess what you are having a hard time understanding is that the DEVELOPER of the software has already indicated that is an unsupported method. It may be "better"... but that does not negate the fact that it is not a supported method.... and therefore it's not "clearly" supposed to work like that since the DEVELOPER of the forum script told you it wasn't.

I guess we will all just need to acknowledge the fact that you know more about the script than the folks that coded it.
Just wondering, how would you go about creating a usergroup that had two different styles based upon selected skin in a "supported" way?

Top Bottom