As designed User with permission can give himself a reply ban

refael

Seems like users with permission to give Reply Bans, can ban themselves.
I don't think this is expected, there is no benefit of user banning himself.

The system only prevents staff from being reply banned. You will get an error (or should) if you are attempting to ban a staff member.

The system only prevents staff from being reply banned. You will get an error (or should) if you are attempting to ban a staff member.
Staff members are protected and an error is displayed as expected. The issue is with normal users which are able to give a ban to themselves. I just think this is not the expected behavior so thought to report and be sure.

It's not explicitly intended, but it's certainly not inherently invalid, such as following/ignoring yourself or creating a conversation with only you as a participant. Those are cases where we prevent an action to avoid problems.

Here, the action is perfectly valid; it is just borderline if it makes sense. Arguably it doesn't. However, we've had the ability to report your own content reported as a bug; there are times when things may not have an immediately obvious use to someone, but others may find value in it.

Admittedly, here it's a stretch; at best, it's probably mostly for testing. But is there an actual advantage to preventing it?

Probably no real advantage as for how it works now.
Personally I was working to extend the reply ban option, and count how many reply bans each member got.
The fact that users can reply-ban themselves (out of curiosity for example) could lead to invalid results. So this is how I found this issue.
Obviously I can add that check myself, just wanted to be sure if this shouldn't be changed in the core as well.

Top Bottom