XF 1.1 User Warning in XenForo 1.1

The XenForo 1.1 'warning' system allows board staff to handle trouble-making users in a structured and manageable way.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Update, October 15 2011:
I've made some changes and improvements...

One thing that would be nice is if you could compound the expiry time based on the warning type or the user as a whole.

If someone gets a warning and they already have existing unexpired warnings, have calculate the expiry time from when the last existing warning expires (either based on ALL the user warnings or just based on that type of warning).

As an example, we don't allow users to have duplicate accounts under any circumstances... but if a user keeps creating more and more duplicate accounts, their ban time gets longer and longer.

XenForo is shaping up nicely. A warning system is an absolutely essential part of the mod workflow for the large forums.

I'd like to second the ability to create a thread on each warning in the designated forum, with warned post content quoted. Otherwise it's hard to keep the track of the moderators' actions. Also, the user can edit his warned post and the original warning intent may appear confusing.

On a related note, I'd like to discuss the warning system concept and the moderator workflow when using the warning system.

I see no merit of warning an offensive post without any incentive for action on the part of the warned member. Ideally, he should be made aware of the rule he's breaking, and given a chance to correct his misdeed in the warned post. Another reason is that the moderators do not scale - while in the smaller communities it's possible for them to manually edit out all profanities/trolling/personal attacks in the warned posts, in the large forums it's simply not possible without growing the moderator team proportionally to the growth of post traffic. It's much simpler and effective to nudge the members to do the editing themselves.

However, the existing warning systems (be it vB's or XenForo's) offer little help for that. Once the warning is issued, the member can do nothing about it, even if he edits his post. He may not even have that chance if his post is deleted in the process. If he edits the warned post, there's no way to inform the mod about the edit except for PM (and that doesn't scale). Then it's completely up to the mod to manually track down the post edit and reverse the warning if the offensive part was removed.

To force the members do the actual editing work, the warning should be removed on the warned post edit, and the members should be made aware of that feature. And to check the edits (and for the accountability), a thread should be created in the designated forum for each issued warning, with quoted post inside. The warned user is informed about the particular rule he's breaking via a templated PM and is advised to edit his post to remove the warning. Once he does that, the warning is removed, and the edit note with new post content is added to the thread that was created on warning. The moderators can now easily see if there was an edit since the thread is bumped on top, and check if the post content is ok now.

If the offensive content is still in the post even after the edit, the mod can elect to issue a "hard" warning (vs the "soft" warning before), denying the member his ability to remove the warning after the post edit.

A good further incentive for the member to edit the warned post is to hide the warned post content from public view, replacing it with a placeholder (we use "This post is temporarily hidden while <username> edits it"). While it doesn't sound too humiliating, the appearance of such placeholder is a common knowledge (at least for the forum regulars) that the associated post is warned, so it's an additional stimulus for the the post author to edit it.

We've been using the system with the tweaks described above with great effect for a few years already. I also posted about it in the original suggestion thread.

tl;dr - please add the ability for a warning to go away on the warned post edit.

I wonder if my members would abuse that, though ... like, "edit the post, make no changes, warning gone"

I guess that is ok, but the moderators most likely would need some way to check which posts have been "edited for warnings" to see if they don't need to reissue the warning (and of course, at some point the post should not be editable else some members would just keep removing the warning indefinitely until banned)

I guess my post was really tl;dr. I specifically mention that the warned post edit should add a note with the new post content to the thread created on the initial warning so that the mods could immediately see if the objectionable content is gone.

I also mention the ability for the mods to issue a "hard" warning where a post edit wouldn't remove the warning. First such warning stops the "edit the post, make no changes" games at once.

Yes, though it's not me or any human who's doing that, the system removes the warning points automatically.
Yeah, I definitely don't like that feature.

Our warning system is very progressive in nature. Points are either set to expire after a set number of days or they don't expire at all. It depends on the infraction.

We never let our members edit old posts. They have 15 minute window and that's it.

Issuing an infraction that later lets the member edit and remove the infraction means that the member just keeps getting to mess with the moderators.

Tsk. From a personal perspective I had hoped we'd never see "infractions" in XF. Just means we'll continue to get loads of forums with silly teenage moderators chucking warning out to everyone who disagrees with them, and forums will continue to have a reputation for being moderated by over zealous Nazis, which in turn is one of the many things that drives users to Facebook.

People really are tired of being "punished" for things they do in their leisure time. No wonder forums continue to die out at an alarming rate.

Obviously I realise not all sites abuse this type of feature, but I have been on far too many sites where it IS abused and I never return, ever.

Sadly, they are an absolute necessity when trying to manage a large forum. You could also argue admins could abuse bans too... :) it's good to have the tools when you need them. We have more than 350,000 infractions given on my site, and I would much prefer if we gave zero... We certainly don't do it for fun or spite.

Sadly, they are an absolute necessity when trying to manage a large forum. You could also argue admins could abuse bans too... :) it's good to have the tools when you need them. We have more than 350,000 infractions given on my site, and I would much prefer if we gave zero... We certainly don't do it for fun or spite.
You are right in that regard I guess. It is smaller sites ab using the system that is the issue.

It boils down to what I have often said with regard to Facebook killing forums off - forums (in general) are the architects of their own downfall, and sadly the bad are killing the good.

Absolutely, no matter if the infraction tool is there or not. It all boils down to how the site owner(s) and staff(s) use or abuse it.

Our warning system is very progressive in nature. Points are either set to expire after a set number of days or they don't expire at all. It depends on the infraction.
Points are also set to expire at our forum. It's orthogonal to the proposed feature.

We never let our members edit old posts. They have 15 minute window and that's it.

Issuing an infraction that later lets the member edit and remove the infraction means that the member just keeps getting to mess with the moderators.
Since your members effectively can't edit their posts, they wouldn't have a chance to remove the associated warnings. And that's what you want. Problem solved?

Also, what do your moderators do about posts with the offensive content after issuing a warning?

Tsk. From a personal perspective I had hoped we'd never see "infractions" in XF.
But you are free not to use it on your site. Other sites may deem this system necessary.

Tsk. From a personal perspective I had hoped we'd never see "infractions" in XF.
It's there because it was one of the most frequently-requested features from customers.

If you ever decide to migrate to XenForo rather than making your vBulletin site look ever more like one of ours, you can entirely disable the warning system by a) not defining any warnings and b) denying permission to all usergroups and moderators to use the warning system.

lol.gif

It's there because it was one of the most frequently-requested features from customers.

Thanks Kier. Yes I was just having a bit of a grumpy rant, not at XF really, more at sites that abuse these systems.

If you ever decide to migrate to XenForo rather than making your vBulletin site look ever more like one of ours,
You noticed. :) It is of course deliberate. (And I wouldn't have done it had I not got a XF licence of course). The sincere hope behind that (apart from practising my own skills) is to ease the transition when I do upgrade.

Of course it is mainly smoke and mirrors, cosmetic stuff. But it's only similar to what I did prior to upgrading to vB4, I spent a year making my vB3 style look gradually more and more like vB4's

Similarly in 2004 when I moved from XMB to vB2, I spent six months making my XMB skin resemble vB3.

I find sudden, wholesale change does not please my members. Other sites find a "clean break" the best way, it depends on the individual site. Plus, I rather enjoy the geeky bit of "can I make this bit look like that?" I don't think I've done too bad a job.

I'm just having a laugh with you Mark, you know I like you really! You always fascinate me with some of the stuff you do, I've never known a site owner like you in 15 years on the web, I don't mean that in a bad way. Just that your very different and a unique individual.

Well I'm not getting into the vB v's xF debates, sick of reading about it. But I don't think you will regret using XenForo, and as you say things are being added in it new or things improved with each release. But, each to their own what they prefer using. I still like my old MyBB forum LMAO!!

Also, what do your moderators do about posts with the offensive content after issuing a warning?

Depends on the post. We don't allow email addresses to be posted, so if someone posts theirs we'll edit it out (<snip>).

If it's a personal attack, rude, etc, we move it to a "Moved Posts" section of our forum that's only visible to mods/admins.

Top Bottom