XF 1.3 User states/Email bouncing

Razasharp

Mike mentioned this in a thread about email bouncing:

You don't put people in that group. Just change their user state and their permissions will automatically be treated as that group. With the side effect that we don't send subscription emails, for example.

I understand there is something new in 1.3 to do with email bouncing? How can we utilise this? (Can it be dealt with automatically?)

And what are user states?

(There is also something called 'Additional Contact' in the ACP for users - any idea what that is?)

It is for already registered members who's email addresses become invalid and start bouncing.

You have to change it manually.

They will need to update the email address in their account and reconfirm by clicking the link before their state will automatically be changed back to "Valid".

Thanks Brogan, was just coming back to post Mike's quote:

The system is basically already equipped to handle this through user states. I have added an explicit "email bouncing" user state though, mostly to adjust the notices that's displayed.

From that I took that we simply create a new notice targeted for users in that state.

I am not sure if going into an unconfirmed state is the right way to go about it. Sometimes people's emails are valid but bounce for some reason beyond the users control. Last year I set up a notice for some bounced users (less than 30 users), and one of them said their email was fine - our notifications were bouncing but I could email them directly - very weird!

There is a new state in 1.3.

upload_2014-1-30_13-43-1.webp

It's entirely up to you how you manage it.
Too many bounced emails could see you blacklisted though.

There is a new state in 1.3.

View attachment 66082

It's entirely up to you how you manage it.
Too many bounced emails could see you blacklisted though.

Yeah, that's why I was hoping we'd get some sort of automated system.

Once I get the domain password protected I will open up the forum and experiment with some new users - to see how the system is set up.

Thanks for the replies.

Btw, do you ever sleep!? You were on late last night and still here when I got up! :p

Wouldn't it be possible to set up to have Xenforo check the bounced email box with a certain time? Let Xenforo sent every e-mail by the forum system have a unique id in it where Xenforo could check on (this to prevent fraud with the possibility that someone mails to the bounce address trying to get accounts blocked or something) . The unique id would have to be only stored for 3 days max and after that can be purged because by then you should have received a bounce message. Would be really handy if can be enabled. It's the problem I'm no programmer or I would have made this myself :P

It is for already registered members who's email addresses become invalid and start bouncing.

You have to change it manually.

They will need to update the email address in their account and reconfirm by clicking the link before their state will automatically be changed back to "Valid".

Something isn't right with this. Once a user on my forum is set to this user state, they can't update their e-mail address because it says that they do not have permission. I set my permissions so that unregistered users can edit their profile, but that still doesn't allow them to change their e-mails.

Is there a permission that I am overlooking? I don't want to have to manually change the account status for all of the bounced e-mails.

There is no permission check on the contact details edit page. The only check relates to there being an authentication record; if that's missing, it's a corrupt user record (and would never happen via the built in system). That isn't tied to the user state.

The only other situation I can think of is if you don't give guests / unconfirmed users permission to view any page.

Top Bottom