User Ranks

Unique Username

Hello, Everyone!

I have a suggestion which I think will help with user rank structuring etc..

My suggestion is to add User Ranks, just like user titles but you can only be appointed. There's no certain amount of points you have to get, you must be appointed by an administrator.

For Example:
Let's say, Jim Bob is in the group "Registered". And you want to make him the leader of the chess club, You create the User rank. Then you can appoint the user as "Chess Leader" but that user is still in his primary group "Registered". And you can add an image or an icon for each rank

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This seems fairly similar to what can be done with user groups already (particularly secondary groups). How does it distinguish?

If you were to use ranks as groups, you would have to create a group for each rank and what happens if you wanted 10 or 20? You'll have 20 groups, and you'll have to make sure that all the permissions are good and which can be a lot of work. I know what you mean, but instead of just creating a user group you could easily just drop down a box, pick the users rank and that's it.

And you could just check off certain permissions that the user rank gets, example like when your adding a moderator you check off each permission http://prntscr.com/a7fxrg

Another Example!
On my site, I'm labeled as an administrator but I want to display myself as site owner without creating another group. When I can simply just check it off and it gives me a seperate title/icon from Administrators

Last edited:
I suspect you may not be using user groups and permissions in an optimal way.

What you're describing can still be done using secondary user groups but there shouldn't be as much effort to set this up as you're suggesting.

This guide may help:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/

That's not what I mean.

Let me rephrase everything, user ranks within a group. Let's say you want to create an events coordinator, instead of creating a group you can simply just make a user that rank. Without creating a new group just so the user can get a few extra permissions

http://prntscr.com/a7g93f

Let's say you want to create an events coordinator, instead of creating a group you can simply just make a user that rank. Without creating a new group just so the user can get a few extra permissions
So instead of creating a new user group and granting that group a few extra permissions, you're proposing creating a new rank and granting that rank a few extra permissions.
Ranks don't have permissions, and why would you duplicate what you already have with user groups. Sorry, but it really sounds like you've not read/understood/absorbed Brogan's link to permissions and display styling priority within them.

So instead of creating a new user group and granting that group a few extra permissions, you're proposing creating a new rank and granting that rank a few extra permissions.
Ranks don't have permissions, and why would you duplicate what you already have with user groups. Sorry, but it really sounds like you've not read/understood/absorbed Brogan's link to permissions and display styling priority within them.

I fully understand, I've read it many times as I have areas on my site which require a lot of permissions. And, Sorry I'm completely out of it today, I apologize for the confusion! @Mouth @Chris D @Mike
You can close thread, I discovered a way to do what I want! :notworthy::unsure:

I need to get some sleep! :):sleep:

Top Bottom