Not planned User Group Promotions: Remove user from user groups ...

CTXMedia

I'd like to suggest an option for promotions whereby we can remove users from a group when they meet the set criteria.

This would allow us to use the NEVER usergroup permission to impose restrictions that would automatically be undone by a usergroup remove promotion.

Extremely handy because the Never permission cannot be overriden, so cannot be undone by any other 'Add' group promotion.

As an example, I want to stop selected new members from replying until they've made, say, 10 posts (threads). It would be great if I could create a 'Threads' usergroup with Never set for replies, and then use the usergroup promotions system to remove them from this group after 10 posts; allowing them to post replies. Nice and simple. :D

But ... because Never can't be override, to get this same result at the moment I will need to do one of two things:
  • completely re-do my permissions system so that replies are not part of the initial Registered group permissions - immediately auto-promote any new members into a secondary group that does have reply permissions (so regular new users get the current functionality) - and manually remove people from the secondary reply-granting group and put them in a third one (with reply as Not Set) that gets promoted to the secondary one after 10 posts
  • ... or make a single new group with no specific permissions and manually edit every forum and category to 'Revoke' the reply permission for this group (effectively setting it at the forum level). I'd also have to remember to do this for any new / changed forums.
Sooooo ... having a "Remove user from user groups:" option would be really handy if it could be included.

I'm sure others could find creative uses for such an option too. (y)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
completely re-do my permissions system so that replies are not part of the initial Registered group permissions
Isn't that just a matter of not giving the permission to the Registered group and then giving it via the promotion? This way you can still exempt people by manually adding the permission to another group (such as Admins) rather than having to remove them from the group (as with Never).

Regardless, I don't think this will happen. It creates several difficult situations, particularly where one system says "take X away" and another says "give X". All the group stuff is based on additive setups.

Additionally, based on the criteria being available, I'm pretty sure you could do this by giving a group on < 10 posts instead of >= 10 posts.

Isn't that just a matter of not giving the permission to the Registered group and then giving it via the promotion? This way you can still exempt people by manually adding the permission to another group (such as Admins) rather than having to remove them from the group (as with Never).

Well I want everyone who registers to be able to reply, so I'd need 'Reply' not set for the registered usergroup and an immediate promotion to an additional group ("Can reply") so it behaves as it does now.

Then I'd need to manually remove the select few from the ("Can reply") group and use the promotion system to promote them again after 10 posts (threads). So would I use the criteria member-of Registered but not-a-member-of Can Reply and x posts = 10?

You could do that with an admin-editable custom field and a promotion limiting the max posts it applies to.

If it's something you're identifying as something people are doing wrong, a warning seems like a better approach IMO (though it's time-based).

You could do that with an admin-editable custom field and a promotion limiting the max posts it applies to.

If it's something you're identifying as something people are doing wrong, a warning seems like a better approach IMO (though it's time-based).

I'll PM you the details - it'll hopefully add some perspective. (y)

Thanks to @Mike I've got this sorted; I hadn't realised that promotions only applied whilst the criteria were met (and were removed once the criteria no longer applied).

I've only ever used usergroup promotions in an additive way so they've always 'stuck'. For the scenario above I simply have to set "User has posted no more than X messages:" to apply the NEVER usergroup promotion and once the member has posted more than the number of messages they are removed from that usergroup because the criteria no longer matches. (y)

Funny how things can escape you - even when you've used a product for years! :LOL:

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Actually I'd find this useful, I have a system where my forum users are synced with a Minecraft server and if a player is put into more than one secondary group, the Minecraft server doesn't know which group to put them in as it can't sort so it just doesn't happen.

I thought I'd be able to fix this by telling the account upgrade to 'adjust' the secondary group or 'remove user from these groups' in a similar way to the criteria tab for promotions.

tbh its beyond any explanation to me why xenforo does not have this feature.
Its standard in any forum software but in the most advanced one? what a shame!

lets say u put users who do not post for X days to a group called LImited Posters and they can not use conversations.

Then u create a new promotion that if a user who belongs to the Limited posters makes 10 posts in 30 days. he can go back to his Regular group. However he will still remain in the Limited posters group too, thats why this is essential

Last edited:
It's relatively straightforward to do. I used to do something like this.

Depending on how the X posts in Y days permission works (it's from an add-on, it's not a standard criteria) will depend on how you set this up.

Either:

Create a user group promotion to promote the user into the Limited Posters group when they make less than 10 posts in 30 days.
In the Limited Posters group, set the conversations permissions that you don't want them to have to Never. (The assumption here is the Registered or other user group(s) they are in already have the conversation permissions you normally want them to have).

When users don't make sufficient posts, they will be added to the Limited Posters group and won't be able to use the conversation permissions.
When they do make sufficient posts, they will no longer meet the criteria and will automatically be removed from the Limited Posters group.
Users will automatically move in and out of the Limited Posters group based on whether or not they meet the criteria.

Or

Create a user group promotion to promote the user into the Regular Posters group when they make 10 or more posts in 30 days.
In the Registered user group (which everyone should have as their primary user group and should have the lowest base permissions for everyone set), set the conversations permissions that you don't want them to have to No.
In the Regular Posters group, set the conversations permissions that you do want them to have to Yes.
In this setup, there is no need for a Limited Posters user group.

When users don't make sufficient posts, they will only be in the Registered user group and won't be able to use the conversation permissions.
When they do make sufficient posts, they will they will be added to the Regular Posters group and will be able to use conversation permissions.
Users will automatically move in and out of the Regular Posters group based on whether or not they meet the criteria.

Create a user group promotion to promote the user into the Limited Posters group when they make less than 10 posts in 30 days.
In the Limited Posters group, set the conversations permissions that you don't want them to have to Never. (The assumption here is the Registered or other user group(s) they are in already have the conversation permissions you normally want them to have).

When users don't make sufficient posts, they will be added to the Limited Posters group and won't be able to use the conversation permissions.
When they do make sufficient posts, they will no longer meet the criteria and will automatically be removed from the Limited Posters group.
Users will automatically move in and out of the Limited Posters group based on whether or not they meet the criteria.
i already do this , ok lets hope that they will be removed from the limited group when they post X posts in Y days

Yes for xenforo 1.5, which one is it ? @Martok
I thought you said you were already doing this? I'd assumed you'd have an add-on installed already.

I think this was the add-on I used (it's since been taken over by Themehouse)

This is a version for XenForo 2.x

You really should move to XenForo 2.x as XenForo 1.x is no longer supported (either with new features or indeed in any other way e.g. security patches).

yes i already had this addon, it does this "User has posted at least X times in the last Y days: " but it doesnt do this "User has NOT posted at least X times in the last Y days: and or "User has NOT at least X posts in thread(s) Y:"

Top Bottom