Not planned User Group Promotions: Remove user from user groups ...

CTXMedia

I'd like to suggest an option for promotions whereby we can remove users from a group when they meet the set criteria.

This would allow us to use the NEVER usergroup permission to impose restrictions that would automatically be undone by a usergroup remove promotion.

Extremely handy because the Never permission cannot be overriden, so cannot be undone by any other 'Add' group promotion.

As an example, I want to stop selected new members from replying until they've made, say, 10 posts (threads). It would be great if I could create a 'Threads' usergroup with Never set for replies, and then use the usergroup promotions system to remove them from this group after 10 posts; allowing them to post replies. Nice and simple. :D

But ... because Never can't be override, to get this same result at the moment I will need to do one of two things:
  • completely re-do my permissions system so that replies are not part of the initial Registered group permissions - immediately auto-promote any new members into a secondary group that does have reply permissions (so regular new users get the current functionality) - and manually remove people from the secondary reply-granting group and put them in a third one (with reply as Not Set) that gets promoted to the secondary one after 10 posts
  • ... or make a single new group with no specific permissions and manually edit every forum and category to 'Revoke' the reply permission for this group (effectively setting it at the forum level). I'd also have to remember to do this for any new / changed forums.
Sooooo ... having a "Remove user from user groups:" option would be really handy if it could be included.

I'm sure others could find creative uses for such an option too. (y)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is an archived suggestion thread.

Support related posts should be made in the relevant forum, or resource thread.

Top Bottom