XF 2.1 User group promotion (demotion), assistance needed

beerForo

This is what I am looking to do.

When someone registers, they are added to a secondary group.
When they make post #1 they are removed from this secondary group.
The whole time, they are in Registered as the parent.

I can't figure out the way, but am told it is possible.

Thanks!

What exactly are you doing? Might help more. Usually you have new members register and they are belong to registered members group. Then you use a promotion to move them to the next group after the requirements are met. You probably need to change the way you are doing it.

I am trying to add to a secondary upon registration and upon first post remove them from said secondary. The core can demote I just need instruction. I don't understand XF's help:
You use the 'User is NOT a member of any of the selected user groups' criterion on the promotion.

So promotion A would have that set for the user group related to promotion B.

This may mean setting up your user groups and promotions differently to utilise that.

I can't really explain it any better than I already have.

The promotion system can be used to add or remove secondary user groups, utilising the criteria as required.
Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
That's the idea yes, the problem is, since ALL groups have the parent as Registered you literally have to go in and change the permissions of every group in every node to YES, because Registered is NO. So I want them to be in Registered AND a secondary that I can set to Never for the bulk. Then they are moved out with the post. This is instead of hours of permission changes as well as remembering for the future.

I already do that. They are promoted to see all. The problem is going in and clicking YES to every group every node. It can be one and done with a secondary they are removed from.

The use case doesn't really matter, I am told it is possible I just haven't figured it out.

My suggestion should theoretically work. It moves the user while he is in a valid state (registered) and while he has no more posts than 0 to the secondary group. So all people should be in the secondary usergroup once they register. And once someone has 1 post, the promotion criteria is not met anymore and the usergroup should be dropped. But it strangely didn't work for my test case.

My suggestion should theoretically work. It moves the user while he is in a valid state (registered) and while he has no more posts than 0. So all people should be in the secondary usergroup once they register. And once someone has 1 post, the promotion criteria is not met anymore and the usergroup should be dropped. But it strangely didn't work for my test case.

Right! This is the idea and it should work. :(

@sbj this was the solution and thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

Don't have to click "Yes" now for every forum, every group, and future groups, since I use Inherit. Just "Never" to the forums they should not see in one group, and they are removed from it with one post. Elegantly efficient!

Reactions: sbj
No problem. Glad I could help.

Once people understand the system, setting up multiple usergroups and nodes without having to duplicate stuff is very easy.

@sbj
Any help appreciated. Some users are signing up and posting to the forums they are not supposed to see because the usergroup promotion is taking too long. What would cause this? I actually have the cron set to run every minute and it looks like it is. But if I look at the user history log, it will show that they accepted the terms... and then 5 minutes, sometimes 20 minutes, etc. later, the promotion. Some new signups, none. Thanks for any guidance.

I'm going to try unchecking the Valid user state. This way when they are awaiting email confirmation it will work and after as well, maybe that's the loophole. They signup... browse, confirm, and then sneak a post in before the cron. Could be it. If that is the reason this should take care of it.

Reactions: eL_
Top Bottom