Server issue User - Emails that were deleted still cause errors in ACP

spirogg

Affected version
Hi when testing some emails for bounce I created some bogus emails.
Test@mydomain.com
Ahahsheueshshe@sheueuddjdus.com
I then used the conversation to send them a private conversation
Then These emails caused errors in ACP

So I deleted those users but today they showed up again in acp as errors again even though the users were deleted. ?

also if you have opened a conversation with a user and then delete that users from: user list, clicking the delete button on the right side of that user. the conversation still shows up in your dropdown with that user.?

- so possibly that is what is triggering the mail error again in ACP?

these were the errors from the bogus emails and users. they gave me an error in ACP, knowingly I had them as bogus emails to test the bounce, and started a conversation with these users to test bounce.
ran the cron to process bounced emails.. they did not show in bounced - they showed as an error..
so I deleted the users - and later on I got another error in ACP with the same emails - users that I deleted..
the conversations I had with the users I deleted, are still showing in my dropdown under view conversations.
seems if a user is deleted, the conversations should also be removed for those users? possibly those are keeping the emails for those users and are creating the error?
not sure but just my thinking.

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 11.51.32 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-10 at 12.33.13 PM.png

I understand why these are errors and not showing in bounced - so not worried about that. just why they kept showing up after deleting the user.

Last edited:
I tested again today at 12:30pm then got the error. Then deleted that account at 12:32pm then got error again at 12:35pm
And now I just checked and got it again
  • Swift_TransportException: Email to eefjefieufheiruerfiuhrifuh@sdkfjhsfdjskdfjh.com failed: Expected response code 354 but got code "503", with message "503-All RCPT commands were rejected with this error: 503-The mail server could not deliver mail to 503-eefjefieufheiruerfiuhrifuh@sdkfjhsfdjskdfjh.com. The account or domain may 503-not exist, they may be blacklisted, or missing the proper dns entries. 503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA "

• src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php:457
  • Generated by: Unknown account

• Mar 10, 2021 at 4:08 PM
So this screenshot below shows it again! same email shows as an error almost 4 hrs later even though the user has been deleted. Almost 4 hrs ago.

2B265403-3BD1-4C68-A7D8-1AB5D192EC79.webp

I spam cleaned a user and I let my users delete themselves as well
So are the errors from spam Clean or the users that deleted themselves ?
- Wondering if it’s the conversations not being deleted with users that get deleted or in your case they delete their accounts.

UPDATE: ok so I checked in WHM - Home > Email > Mail Queue Manager

I had only 2 emails there Frozen. these were only 2 of the 3 that kept showing up in ACP as an error.
- Not sure where the third one is that keeps showing up?

- Anyway, I deleted both emails in queue and I now show 0 emails in the Mail Queue Manager.

- so I will wait till tomorrow to see if this was the issue, and shows up again in my ACP as an error.
Also will check if it shows up again in WHM - Home > Email > Mail Queue Manager

ok well these bogus emails showed up again today all 3 of the emails in the ACP error log again.

so I did a little more homework on this and found exim will retry x amount of times to send emails.

also I've just tried these command in terminal to see if It will stop the retries.

/usr/sbin/exim_tidydb -t 0d /var/spool/exim retry > /dev/null
/usr/sbin/exim_tidydb -t 0d /var/spool/exim reject > /dev/null
/usr/sbin/exim_tidydb -t 0d /var/spool/exim wait-remote_smtp > /dev/null

will report back later today or tomorrow if I don't see any other error logs for these emails...

UPDATE: 03/11/21 8:37pm CST
1 of the 3 showed up again in my ACP as an error
waiting for the others to show up..
EDIT: I use centos 7 cpanel php 7.4
cpanel mail.mydomain.com for smtp mail.
no there issues with mail being sent out except for the deleted users./emails

I have been checking and it has not been in WHM / cPanel email > Queue Manager or Greylist nor are any emails in either list.. so where its coming from is hard to guess... the only thing I can think of is there is a Queue in Xenforo vendor> swiftmailer

• Swift_TransportException: Email to eefjefieufheiruerfiuhrifuh@sdkfjhsfdjskdfjh.com failed: Expected response code 354 but got code "503", with message "503-All RCPT commands were rejected with this error: 503-The mail server could not deliver mail to 503-eefjefieufheiruerfiuhrifuh@sdkfjhsfdjskdfjh.com. The account or domain may 503-not exist, they may be blacklisted, or missing the proper dns entries. 503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA "

• src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php:457
  • Generated by: Unknown account

• Mar 11, 2021 at 8:37 PM

Code:
#0 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(341): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->assertResponseCode('503-All RCPT co...', Array)
#1 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/EsmtpTransport.php(305): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->executeCommand('DATA
', Array, Array, false, NULL)
#2 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(390): Swift_Transport_EsmtpTransport->executeCommand('DATA
', Array, Array)
#3 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(497): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->doDataCommand(Array)
#4 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(516): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->doMailTransaction(Object(Swift_Message), 'bounced2+437f10...', Array, Array)
#5 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(206): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->sendTo(Object(Swift_Message), 'bounced2+437f10...', Array, Array)
#6 src/XF/Mail/Mailer.php(304): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->send(Object(Swift_Message), Array)
#7 src/XF/Mail/Queue.php(138): XF\Mail\Mailer->send(Object(Swift_Message), Object(Swift_SmtpTransport), Array)
#8 src/XF/Job/MailQueue.php(12): XF\Mail\Queue->run(7.78895)
#9 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(258): XF\Job\MailQueue->run(7.78895)
#10 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(200): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, 7.78895)
#11 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(84): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, 7.78895)
#12 job.php(43): XF\Job\Manager->runQueue(false, 8)
#13 {main}

I also took a look in mysql Database but just peeked and didn't find anything that I could see.. but im not the best in mysql?

so something keeps triggering it and it doesn't seem its the server cpanel - since it would of been in greylist or queue manager and it was not, so this leads me to believe its in XenForo program somewhere..

Last edited:
Ultimately, I think we're going to have to call this a server issue as we're not really expecting the SMTP server to error and reject the mail because the domain doesn't seem to resolve (which could potentially be a temporary error). This may be related to the specific configuration settings of your SMTP server. (We would expect mail such as this to be accepted by the server and for the SMTP server to attempt delivery before potentially returning a bounce message after the fact.)

If we get an error, we will re-enqueue the mail and try to re-send it on the assumption that the error likely came from an issue that you can resolve or which is temporary (such as authentication/connectivity failing).

There may be something to investigate with the second error being caused by the first, though if the first error didn't happen, then the subsequent one wouldn't be triggered.

On a side note, it sounds ilke you might be connecting to the SMTP server that's on the same server as the site itself. In that situation, it's likely simpler and more performant to simply use the built-in PHP/local mail system.

Ultimately, I think we're going to have to call this a server issue as we're not really expecting the SMTP server to error and reject the mail because the domain doesn't seem to resolve (which could potentially be a temporary error). This may be related to the specific configuration settings of your SMTP server. (We would expect mail such as this to be accepted by the server and for the SMTP server to attempt delivery before potentially returning a bounce message after the fact.)
This issue is not the SMTP server. The issue is an email that does not resolve ie ahahshd@ajajajs.com does not bounce.
if it were ahahajsjseieh@gmail.com it hard bounced and stops retrying. Or any domain that resolves. So wish there was a way to hard bounce non existing emails.
If we get an error, we will re-enqueue the mail and try to re-send it on the assumption that the error likely came from an issue that you can resolve or which is temporary (such as authentication/connectivity failing).
how many times will it retry can we get a setting to retry X amount of time and then hard bounce. Or stop the re-send. Or another log in ACP that shows what’s the enqueue and a clear button to remove the queue instead of going to database to clear it.
There may be something to investigate with the second error being caused by the first, though if the first error didn't happen, then the subsequent one wouldn't be triggered.
Yes.

On a side note, it sounds ilke you might be connecting to the SMTP server that's on the same server as the site itself. In that situation, it's likely simpler and more performant to simply use the built-in PHP/local mail system.
Yes I have setup mail.mydomain.com port 465
But - Will the automatic bounced and unsubscribe still work? In ACP. Cause I thought I read you needed to send with SMTP -TLS SSL or that option won’t work. Is php/local mail system use TLS SSL when sending emails?
Unless I read this wrong.

Yes I have setup mail.mydomain.com port 465
But - Will the automatic bounced and unsubscribe still work?
I don't think so as there is no bounce.

As Mike already pointed out, I think this is a configuration usse - a mailserver on a submission port (465) IMHO should not respond with a 503 (which is meant for a protocol error) just because the recipient domain does not resolve.

One other issue I’m not sure about?
- if user deletes there account and they are still in your conversation, there is no way to tell they don’t exist. Cause you can still reply to them with no errors on front end

example John starts conversation with frank. Frank deleted his account and is no longer a user. If John still continues and replies to John any number of times. It does not throw an error that frank is no longer a user.
should throw an error or if frank deletes his account should it remove him from the conversation (Leave conversation and do not allow replies)

I don't think so as there is no bounce.

As Mike already pointed out, I think this is a configuration usse - a mailserver on a submission port (465) IMHO should not respond with a 503 (which is meant for a protocol error) just because the recipient domain does not resolve.

If the domain exists. @gmail.com @yahoo.com @xenforo.com
I get a soft bounce or hard bounce. Example if no user exists thdekddhe@gmail.com hard bounce.

If domain doesn’t exist I get the error. That is not a server issue or configuration issue. Means it can’t connect to an actual server to get a response back. So it throws the error.
if we remove delete that email / user should it not remove and delete from the queue list to stop sending errors or bounce after X amount of times. That’s what I am talking about. Should be a way to notice the user no longer exists in xenforo.

- second example is. I signup with spiro@mydomain.com for xenforo forum. A few months later I delete my domain from server and it becomes non existent does not resolve. But I forgot to change it in Xenforo forum. It will not receive a hard bounce or soft bounce. it will throw this error in ACP. And continue X amount of times.

Top Bottom