Use the gallery for a photo contest

Mr Lucky

My suggestion is that there should be a couple of (hopefully minor) feature additions that will make Media Gallery great for a photo contest.

I suggest that the contest is assigned to a category, but could be an album
  • Voting would be done normally via ratings, but ideally you'd want to disallow voting until all the images were there, ie you turn off ratings for that one album or category until the closing date for entries. Then turn on for a period of time to collect ratings once all the photos are up, and off again at the end of the contest for the final winning announcement.
  • It would be good if ratings could be anonymous
  • It would be good if recent items block in the forum list could be restricted to the photo contest album/category
That's all it would need to make this work really well. There could be more stuff, but this would be a great start.

Last edited:
Upvote 63
I know, old post :) we have used galleries since 2003 for contests using Photopost when the original owner created the website we now own and run since 2009.

We created a category "Current Contest Entries" and allowed members to upload 2 each week.
At the end of the week, I moved those photos out to a contest archive dedicated for that weeks dates.
Then I manually chose 36 finalists, 6 in each category, and allowed the members to vote in a forum poll.
Members never saw who cast the vote the votes, or the counts. Once the week was over for voting, I would reveal the counts only. Admin accounts were still the only ones that could see which members voted on each of the photos.

I would like to find a way to have more than 36 finalists because our membership is expanding, but don't want to have to code for every single finalist so they can be voted.

So if there was a way for members to vote directly in the gallery without seeing the counts or who voted in the designated categories we create, that would be nice.

So if there was a way for members to vote directly in the gallery without seeing the counts or who voted in the designated categories we create, that would be nice.
If you think this is a good suggestion, please adda like to post #1 - it all helps in getting a suggestion implemented. So I've been told.

this is how we currently hold the voting. This one is our Photo of the Month, which are those that won POTW .
We had to create it in the forum poll post, because Photopost that we are using and now moving away from, didn't have a hidden voting system.
http://www.bytephoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17570

Although it looks like its 6 categories, it actually isn't, it's one long list of 36 with graphic separation at the end of every 6th photo. So we have to monitor to be sure people vote once in each of the set of 6. So far have had no problem, but the scenario is there that it can happen.

Add another person who would like a hot or not type photo contest add on.
Actually the suggestion isn't for an addon, but a few simple changes that would allow the existing core features of media gallery to work as a competition. 45+ users seem to agree.

Voting would be done normally via ratings, but ideally you'd want to disallow voting until all the images were there, ie you turn off ratings for that one album or category until the closing date for entries. Then turn on for a period of time to collect ratings once all the photos are up, and off again at the end of the contest for the final winning announcement.

Reaction or ratings permissions can be disabled per category so they can actually be "turned off" until all entries are in. (Maybe that was previously the case with ratings back in 2014 and I didn't realise?)

Top Bottom