As designed Upvoting made number go down

Status
Not open for further replies.

ge66

Affected version
I went to an old thread: Scheduled Thread / Post
Below the up arrow it said 117, I pressed the up arrow and the number changed to 116.

I think this has to do with that I already had liked the thread way back. But I think this is a bug.

It isn't a bug.

We converted likes to upvotes. Therefore you have already upvoted it so clicking again would cause a downvote.

The styling is subtle but if the arrow is green in colour then you have already upvoted.

You do not need to upvote anything you've already shown support for.

It isn't a bug.

We converted likes to upvotes. Therefore you have already upvoted it so clicking again would cause a downvote.

The styling is subtle but if the arrow is green in colour then you have already upvoted.

You do not need to upvote anything you've already shown support for.
I was worried that this was the answer.
If I hadn't kept my eye on the number I would have missed it. And I would have thought I just upvoted instead I removed my vote.
I think it should be much clearer what happens, maybe a popup about you now remove your vote or something else.
And it still said "You" under liked after I upvoted.

Feedback noted, we may make it more apparent but not with an overlay or anything that intrusive.

For all intents and purposes ignore likes on suggestions now. They have no bearing on upvotes and no longer count towards the overall thread score.

Feedback noted, we may make it more apparent but not with an overlay or anything that intrusive.

For all intents and purposes ignore likes on suggestions now. They have no bearing on upvotes and no longer count towards the overall thread score.
I still think pressing upvote never should end up as a downvote, as it did for me. Some sort of check should be done, maybe a X for removing my vote could be added.

Why not have a tool tip when you hover over the up or down arrows that states if you've voted or not? Much like the hover effect over a forum name. It can also include brief text on what the content means.

Maybe. The feedback has been noted and we'll explore other alternatives.

We've already adjusted the colour to be much more attention-grabby when a vote has already been given.

Reactions: DL6
As with my thread, this seems very counter-intuitive. People expect up to go up, and down to go down.

This is typical behaviour (indeed as with plus and minus buttons in xenforo permissions for editing time) or many other instance on the web

In a typical name your price field it would not be good if you clicked the up arrow and the price went down.

Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 13.52.42.webp

But this isn't a "name your price" field it's a voting system and many voting systems all across the internet across many websites across many platforms have the same convention that we follow.

This type of field is really a bad example to make your point because the use cases are very different.

But this isn't a "name your price" field it's a voting system and many voting systems all across the internet across many websites across many platforms have the same convention that we follow.

This type of field is really a bad example to make your point because the use cases are very different.
I get your point about that and agree they are different, just pointing out the kind of interaction people are used to, or what they might intuit, on the web when they see the up and down arrows and exepct them to mean up and down.

Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 13.49.05.webp

By the same logic, do we need an "Unlike" link here instead of it being a toggle?

1593008006911.png

Or a "Dislike" button?

Or is it commonly accepted that some things behave as a toggle, as is the case here?

I think that is not a great example. A reaction is just an icon that's either there or not. Maybe it's now my turn to say not the best example because with voting we are talking about incremental increasing or decreasing a number via up/down arrow buttons that distinctly imply they will cause an up/down effect.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Or:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Clicking like gives a like. Clicking like again takes the like away.

Clicking upvote gives an upvote. Clicking upvote again takes the upvote away.

Clicking B in the editor activates bold. Clicking B in the editor again deactivates bold.

It's a typical toggle.

I think that is not a great example. A reaction is just an icon that's either there or not. Maybe it's now my turn to say not the best example because with voting we are talking about incremental increasing or decreasing a number via up/down arrow buttons that distinctly imply they will cause an up/down effect.

It is the convention on sites such as Stack Exchange and Reddit (and many others). So if you want to change that, you will potentially lead to more confusion, because it would not be working like on other sites. So I disagree with you on that one.

EDIT: Forgot I replied to you before, I think I need more coffee. :-)

Last edited:
I think you win. And I am grateful for your post above saying the feedback has been noted.

But it's not a typical toggle as it looks like an arrow...:(

Clicking like gives a like. Clicking like again takes the like away.

Clicking upvote gives an upvote. Clicking upvote again takes the upvote away.

Clicking B in the editor activates bold. Clicking B in the editor again deactivates bold.

It's a typical toggle.
That's how I understood it because I know it from XF.
From a normal person's point of view, however, it is more confusing if you click on + and the value drops.
Or maybe we're just not enough generation Twitter to understand that. ;)

By the same logic, do we need an "Unlike" link here instead of it being a toggle?

View attachment 228733

Or a "Dislike" button?

Or is it commonly accepted that some things behave as a toggle, as is the case here?
Maybe it should place a X over the reaction icon when hovered, to indicate remove.

If all "big" sites works the same way for up and down voting, as someone said, then I guess xenforo should do it the same way, and I can live with that.

I'm fine with removing the up- or donvote by clicking the same icon again, that's consistent with the way reactions do work.

However, as I am a bit visually impaired (deuteranomaly), I find it a bit hard to determine if I have already voted or not.
If this could be made stand out a bit more, that would be great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom