As designed Upvoting made number go down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm - to me it is distinguishable, but it isn't what I'd call easy - I have to concentrate a bit, eg. take a deeper look at it.
Not sure if this would be an option, but maybe you could display the mini-avatar next to the vote the user has given instead of using color as indication?

But this isn't a "name your price" field it's a voting system and many voting systems all across the internet across many websites across many platforms have the same convention that we follow.

This type of field is really a bad example to make your point because the use cases are very different.
I knew something was nagging at me, I'd seen a voting system that seems way more intuitive and elegant. And many many people know it.

Staring me right in the face.

Youtube:

Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 17.19.35.webp

It is very obvious what thumbs up means.

In the above I had voted and the likes went up (shown by blue)

I can toggle my vote off and it goes back to six,

Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 17.25.09.webp

or I can instead immediately click on thumbs down, and the like reduces from 7 to 6 but the dislike shows 1.

Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 17.26.09.webp

Doesn't that seem much more like an obvious and intuitive and elegant system

It works well with upvoting and downvoting better as you get more information rather than just a sum of + and -

I'm not sure I'm seeing your point exactly.

What you have just demonstrated at YouTube is exactly how it works in XenForo.

We just don't have (thumbs down) downvotes enabled as per our preference.

I'm not sure I'm seeing your point exactly.

We just don't have (thumbs down) downvotes enabled as per our preference.
I think the difference for a start is the icons (which hopefullly can be easily swapped out) because the aren't arrows which look (as mentioned) like you typical counter so wouldn't expect them to toggle, just add or subtract.

But also the fact that there are two numbers, one for like and one for dislike and it's more obvious what is happening.

All I can add is I've been used this voting system for years, but when I tried the xenforo system, and I upvoted with up arrow, then downvoted with down arrow I got completely confused. You could of course argue the opposite - people aleays think what they know is actually more intuitive rather than familiar, but honestly I grasped the Youtube system as soon as I saw it because it is very obvious.

Howenstly it never aoccurred to me an arrow would like a like so would expect it to toggle. We agree to disagree on that)

I know the result is not quite the same because on xenforo you just see the difference between + and -, on Youtube you see how many of each so it's clearer what the actions actually do.

up on yt means up and down means down.
up on xF 2.2 means down, if you previously hit the up button.
Honestly, at this point you are just trolling since it's obvious you haven't read the post that demonstrates that on YT, it does toggling exactly like we do (when you click up again, the number goes down!). You're welcome to your opinion but you've made your point. If you want to engage in the conversion, it's time to become constructive.

Hmm, no.

YouTube does display two distinct counters, one for up and one for down.
If a user changes his mind and changes an upvote to a downvote, the up counter decreases by one and the down counter increases by one.
While the sum will decrease by two, having two counters is easier to grasp for users - XenForo does only display the sum and users get confused when it changes by two in thise case.

At this point I don't think there's any value in the conversation continuing further because as well as unnecessary trolling as Mike pointed out before, we're just getting ridiculous and incomparable strawman arguments.

It's a very simple system that involves a simple toggle to give and take away a vote and we've already made changes to more strongly indicate that a vote has already been given.

Other feedback has been noted and there may be other changes forthcoming but in the meantime if you have anything further to add with specific and constructive ideas then please post them in the Suggestion forum by locating an existing suggestion or posting a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom