Uploading attachments never finishes

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 2163
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 2163

Hi,

I just noticed last night that when I attempt to upload attachments, via either flash or non-flash method, the attachments never finish uploading.

On the flash uploader, they get to 100% and stop. On the non-flash uploader, it just finishes and nothing is attached.

Technical details:
  • data directory is writable, as are its sub directories
  • correct file types are allowed via admin panel options
  • GD is the image library being utilized
  • attachment size limit set to 4MB, all attachments are far less than that.
Any ideas as to why this might be happening?

No errors caused by this problem. I figured out what was causing it, but I do not like why.

I also upgraded to 1.1 RC1, and had the same problem.

It was PHP+FastCGI. I use FastCGI for permissions so that I don't have to chmod 777 things. Apparently this breaks the image attachment uploading, but there is no explanation as to why, nor are any errors logged. Not even in /var/log/httpd/suexec_log or error_log.

I switched it back to Apache module for now, but I *really* don't like that. chmod 777 is insecure, and for me, personally, unacceptable.

It was PHP+FastCGI. I use FastCGI for permissions so that I don't have to chmod 777 things. Apparently this breaks the image attachment uploading, but there is no explanation as to why, nor are any errors logged. Not even in /var/log/httpd/suexec_log or error_log. I switched it back to Apache module for now, but I *really* don't like that. chmod 777 is insecure, and for me, personally, unacceptable.

I searched xenforo.com for use of FastCGI.
DOA was using it.
Ask him if he has any problems.

I've compiled php 5.3.6/ suexec & suphp and tried working out the errors, by myself and with the data center techs managing my server. it's not happening. Strike that off your list if you ever upgrade via easyapache or command line. PHP 5.2.17 in the same configuration, same permissions and owners will run fine however.

I'm now using FastCGI PHP 5.3.6 with APC running in the background and xenforo runs fine without any internal errors or extra work on my part. Moral of the story is, suphp + latest php + xenforo = good luck with that.

Opcode caching is useless using suphp so I needed to move away from using it altogether, I'm sure it's a common mistake most whm/cpanel users would make anyway. You can install APC, xcache etc, but they wont do anything with non persistent PHP instances.

I searched xenforo.com for use of FastCGI.
DOA was using it.
Ask him if he has any problems.
Thanks. I replied to him.

I wonder why FastCGI would be an issue at all in the first place. It doesn't make sense. I don't have problems in any other web applications.

It's likely a quirk of the flash uploader.
The never finishes issue comes up alot with it.
I had the same problem with Chrome when loading files from a networked drive from my server.

It's likely a quirk of the flash uploader.
The never finishes issue comes up alot with it.
I had the same problem with Chrome when loading files from a networked drive from my server.
It's not the flash uploader. The non-flash uploader doesn't work either.

Fastcgi uses the same permissions as suphp, only dso and some other php handler I forget will stuff your permissions and run scripts as "nobody". They wont work.
and according to wordpress:
Functions that require uploading files to the server (such as Auto-updates or Plug-in/Theme installation) will NOT work unless PHP is loaded as a CGI module. This means they will ONLY work with suPHP or FastCGI. This will ensure they are uploaded with the correct ownership & permissions.
finally: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...or-after-php-upgrade.10194/page-2#post-288811

Top Bottom