1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uploading attachments never finishes

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by brendanc, Nov 14, 2011.

1. brendanc

brendanc Active Member

I just noticed last night that when I attempt to upload attachments, via either flash or non-flash method, the attachments never finish uploading.

On the flash uploader, they get to 100% and stop. On the non-flash uploader, it just finishes and nothing is attached.

Technical details:
    • data directory is writable, as are its sub directories
    • correct file types are allowed via admin panel options
    • GD is the image library being utilized
    • attachment size limit set to 4MB, all attachments are far less than that.
    Any ideas as to why this might be happening?
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Are there any errors in the log?

Admin CP -> Tools -> Server Error Log
  3. brendanc

brendanc Active Member

No errors caused by this problem. I figured out what was causing it, but I do not like why.

I also upgraded to 1.1 RC1, and had the same problem.

It was PHP+FastCGI. I use FastCGI for permissions so that I don't have to chmod 777 things. Apparently this breaks the image attachment uploading, but there is no explanation as to why, nor are any errors logged. Not even in /var/log/httpd/suexec_log or error_log.

I switched it back to Apache module for now, but I *really* don't like that. chmod 777 is insecure, and for me, personally, unacceptable.
  4. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

I searched xenforo.com for use of FastCGI.
    DOA was using it.
    Ask him if he has any problems.

5. brendanc

brendanc Active Member

Thanks. I replied to him.

I wonder why FastCGI would be an issue at all in the first place. It doesn't make sense. I don't have problems in any other web applications.
  6. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

It's likely a quirk of the flash uploader.
    The never finishes issue comes up alot with it.
    I had the same problem with Chrome when loading files from a networked drive from my server.
  7. brendanc

brendanc Active Member

It's not the flash uploader. The non-flash uploader doesn't work either.
  8. D.O.A.

D.O.A. Well-Known Member

Fastcgi uses the same permissions as suphp, only dso and some other php handler I forget will stuff your permissions and run scripts as "nobody". They wont work.
    and according to wordpress:
    finally: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...or-after-php-upgrade.10194/page-2#post-288811