• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.2 Uploading and Attachment Viewing Issues


Recently my forum has been having some serious issues with attachments, both uploading and viewing them.

If it helps, my web stack is:
  • CentOS 6.4
  • Nginx 1.4.4
  • PHP FPM 5.4.23
  • MariaDB 5.5.34
Now, symptoms I'm having as I'd mentioned are both with uploading and viewing attachments.

I have Nginx and PHP set to allow large uploads, and my XenForo configuration mirrors this by having the attachment limit set to 16MB, however files over 500KB-1MB will often give a red-headered 'There was a problem uploading your file.' message.

I have looked everywhere I can think, in my Nginx configuration and php.ini and php-fpm *.conf files for the server for any limits relating to file uploads, to no avail.

This is where things get odd; I tested with the same image that could both be uploaded via attachment without error and via ftp directly to the server.

Uploading via ftp works fine, the image is viewable in full. However viewing the attached version only 'loads' the first small section of the image, the rest of the image is cropped. After a while trying to load the rest of the image, it reverts to a broken image icon.

Oddly, the thumbnail of the uploaded image always works fine, only the full-size image is broken.

I've uploaded the attachment to an area not accessible to most members so I'm not sure if the link will work here but below are my results for the same image:

FTP Upload


This problem is becoming very annoying for many members of my forum who make use of the attachment system. It's only cropped up in the past month or so of the forums 1.5+ year existence, with no changes being made to configuration or setup in 3 months.

If any other information is required such as values for configuration files they can be supplied.

Thank you for any assistance,

In your domain or nginx.conf
Check this value = client_max_body_size

Should be higher than your limit set on xenforo.
I've tried messing with this value a few times, it's currently set to 250M. Editing it has had no effect on this issue, not even removing it entirely.