Implemented Upload image from mobile device to a post

Salty

Tigatrus said:
I just hope there's a way to take a pic and upload it from an iphone
Props to Tig for mentioning this in the mobile thread.
A system for users to easily add image content from their mobile device to the forums would be ideal.
We would like to take advantage of the mobile market in anyway possible so that we can generate more traffic and content on our sites.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think this would need to be an app for the iphone at least. From what I understand the iphone does not let you choose the browse icon to fetch files from it. Perhaps I am wrong.

Props to Tig for mentioning this in the mobile thread.
A system for users to easily add image content from their mobile device to the forums would be ideal.
We would like to take advantage of the mobile market in anyway possible so that we can generate more traffic and content on our sites.

I totally agree. I have plans to setup a new platform in 2011. What we need for this is an easy way to upload photo's from your iPhone directly into to forumpostings/blogs/albums, so our members can write stories around those photo's in their blogs (preferably). Do we really need to plugin our iPhones and grab those images from our machines to put them into our content? We live in 2010... we live in the mobile internet era. A lot of members of this new website I want to produce are on the road. They need a way to upload/include their photo's as easy as possible.

Tap-A-Talk is currently doing a number of boards and phones. I'm running it on 1 of my vB sites and the users really seem to like it. They might include xF once its released.

Letting another company make money off of giving users the ability to post on your forum because it is the only way you can get a mobile skin worth a damn is not a product that should be partnered with XF.

Tapatalk has had some serious security issues recently that make BIG boards such as androidforums.com to stop using their service.

Those two issues a lone should be enough for anyone to disregard and push towards actual mobile development.

Letting another company make money off of giving users the ability to post on your forum because it is the only way you can get a mobile skin worth a damn is not a product that should be partnered with XF.

Tapatalk has had some serious security issues recently that make BIG boards such as androidforums.com to stop using their service.

Those two issues a lone should be enough for anyone to disregard and push towards actual mobile development.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-wap-mobile-out-the-box.1799/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-mobile-skin-brainstorming.1441/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/so-is-there-any-mobile-style-planned.1328/

Threads discussing tapatalk/mobile style.

Embracing a mobile style (Not an external application) is a much better solution. It provides you the same functionality of the site if done properly (Or as close as you can get), as well as opening your site to the mobile market which is growing exponentially.

Just want to clarify again the security issue, like most other software faces issue once in a while - I suppose what's more important is how we deal with it:

http://androidforums.com/lounge/154...lem.html#post1421454

and our 24 hours turn-around:
http://tapatalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2948

And I am sure nothing is bullet-proof (so much so that for vB (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10714192) and eventually XF?) :D

Tapatalk is serving forum as big as 2 million members. It is also the same engine powering ProBoards app which serves 500,000 active free-hosting forums in the Internet.

And yes it is a paid app - like Tweetie was a paid app to access Twitter where you can access it for free on web browser. What we're trying to achieve here is to provide another option to users to access forum the way they want to.

Your product provides a mobile skin to the communities we run.

You charge our users to post on our forum.

The only thing your product has right now is that it is a mobile skin for vbulletin, that's it's only selling point.

What about forums where there is already a subscription or pay to post system? Do we then double charge users for posting just to use the only usable mobile skin in vbulletin existence?

No thanks Mr. Tapatalk, you can't have my user's money so they can post on my forum from their mobile device.

Embracing a mobile style (Not an external application) is a much better solution. It provides you the same functionality of the site if done properly (Or as close as you can get), as well as opening your site to the mobile market which is growing exponentially.

I have no clue, but is it possible with a mobile XF style to actually upload a picture from my iPhone to the board?

Your product provides a mobile skin to the communities we run.

You charge our users to post on our forum.

The only thing your product has right now is that it is a mobile skin for vbulletin, that's it's only selling point.

What about forums where there is already a subscription or pay to post system? Do we then double charge users for posting just to use the only usable mobile skin in vbulletin existence?

No thanks Mr. Tapatalk, you can't have my user's money so they can post on my forum from their mobile device.

Actually you can get their app for free from their site. The paid version, a whole $3 (one time charge), lets you do a couple of additional items like post a picture directly from their phone. The users on my site are using both and the ones that spent the $3 dollars didn't complain. Buying an app is not that big a deal for most smart phone users.

Actually you can get their app for free from their site. The paid version, a whole $3 (one time charge), lets you do a couple of additional items like post a picture directly from their phone. The users on my site are using both and the ones that spent the $3 dollars didn't complain. Buying an app is not that big a deal for most smart phone users.

The issue isn't the price, the issue is that you have to sell a product to your users in order for them to use your site effectively on a mobile device. If XF partners with Tapatalk instead of developing their own skin, or just ignores the mobile skin issue, I will rage like hulk.

Other community leaders can use Tapatalk, but I'm not going to convince my whole 12mill uniq/mo network to jump on it because the company who made my forum software can't. That is unacceptable in my eyes.

The issue isn't the price, the issue is that you have to sell a product to your users in order for them to use your site effectively on a mobile device. If XF partners with Tapatalk instead of developing their own skin, or just ignores the mobile skin issue, I will rage like hulk.

Other community leaders can use Tapatalk, but I'm not going to convince my whole 12mill uniq/mo network to jump on it because the company who made my forum software can't. That is unacceptable in my eyes.

Like I said there is a free version of their app on their site also, no charge to your users. They just cannot post pictures from their phone and a couple of things I can't think of (maybe reply to PMs). I also have a mobile skin on my site that some users use also. The best would be a mobile skin that lets you use the forum like you would from a computer but I don't know of any of the boards that are doing that out of the box. At this point Tapatalk seems like the best solution, but that can change. If I had the knowledge I would create a mobile skin to do what Tapatalk can do but unfortunately I don't know how. Hmm thinking about it maybe I know someone who can, I need to talk to him.

Like I said there is a free version of their app on their site also, no charge to your users.

Create & reply to topics, edit posts, PMs are not available options for the free app.

If I had the knowledge I would create a mobile skin to do what Tapatalk can do but unfortunately I don't know how. Hmm thinking about it maybe I know someone who can, I need to talk to him.

We should do something about it bro! Like post suggestions on a brand new site revolved around development of forum software! But instead of encouraging them to support mobile, we should talk about Tapatalk for a bit.

When they are all like "Why are you hating on Tapatalk" we can giggle at the funnies and hope someone does something about it.

We should do something about it bro! Like post suggestions on a brand new site revolved around development of forum software! But instead of encouraging them to support mobile, we should talk about Tapatalk for a bit

Yeah not like they would have other things to work on to get their brand new software out. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom