XF 1.5 Upload file is too large

tommydamic68

Members are getting this error when trying to upload a large image, I confirmed the issue as well, is it a server side issue? If so, how would I address it.

Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 9.45.21 AM.webp

Ive contacted my host and here is their response. "Hello,
I've increased the PHP directives upload_max_filesize and post_max_size parameters from 2M to 256M by creating a php.ini file in the document root folder of your account 'admin'. Kindly check and let us know if there is anything else." Is that too much? Is there a recommended amount?

Is it a matter of using up disc space on the server I guess?
That's one part of it.. the main is WHAT kind of file(s) are you expecting to be uploaded. If images, then I would typically NOT allow any any larger than 10-12MB uploads (of course, it then depends on what your XF max size is set at).
The other aspect is if you are allowing uploads of actual files (think ISO's, .ZIP for programs, etc) then you may need larger. As I said, you can't just use a blanket number as some would have you believe. You HAVE to know what type of files you are allowing to attach/upload and what the maximum potential sizes may be.

That's one part of it.. the main is WHAT kind of file(s) are you expecting to be uploaded. If images, then I would typically NOT allow any any larger than 10-12MB uploads (of course, it then depends on what your XF max size is set at).
The other aspect is if you are allowing uploads of actual files (think ISO's, .ZIP for programs, etc) then you may need larger. As I said, you can't just use a blanket number as some would have you believe. You HAVE to know what type of files you are allowing to attach/upload and what the maximum potential sizes may be.
Images only. Most people point and shoot with cameras or phones and don't bother for resizing, thats the issue. So I would think you could figure out a blanket number, at least a "general" max image size with the popular items like iPhones and digital cameras.

Images only. Most people point and shoot with cameras or phones and don't bother for resizing, thats the issue. So I would think you could figure out a blanket number, at least a "general" max image size with the popular items like iPhones and digital cameras.
yes & no. An image in .JPG format will be different in size to the same image in .PNG so you need to plan appropriately. Again, if images only, I'd probably keep it around 10-20MB. I have mine set at 4GB since I also allow uploading of ISO's on one of my sites. Haven't had anyone use it yet (was mainly for me) but I don't think there is a max setting for it (or none within reason).

I don't get it, my host can upload the image fine no errors onto the site, I upload the same image and get the error - is this a permission based issue? He is a registered user and Im the administrator.

Top Bottom