XF 1.2 "Upload a File" results in Error (OS X Mavericks/Safari)

Orren Merton

We've got a test forum set up to "kick the tires" before we migrate our vBulletin 3 forum to XenForo. Everything is going swimmingly, except for the following issue:

We can very easily attach images to posts using the "upload a file" button from a variety of browsers and operating systems (including iOS). However, whenever I attempt to upload a file from OS X Mavericks (10.9.1) and Safari (7.0.1) I get the error below:

003-jpg.63554

Now, I know this isn't a general bug in XenForo, since the image file above was uploaded using the Mavericks/Safari combination without issue, and it's working. I also know it's not a general issue with my Mac itself, as I can easily upload a file from Chrome, for example.

I have tried turning the Flash Uploader on and off in the Admin options, but that hasn't changed anything.

Any ideas? I should mention: I have full administrative access over the XenForo forum, but not over the server itself.

Thanks for any help!
Orren

Do either of those browsers have a built in inspector with a console window?
That may provide more information.
Failing that, the server error log may contain something.

Is the file particularly large?

The file is not large—83k. Shouldn't be pushing any limits.

In fact, that gave me an idea. We only have two addons installed—the XenForo resource manager and the Remove Attachments Limits addon. So I disabled the Remove Attachments Limits addon and proceeded as follows:

1) Clicked the "upload a file" button
2) Chose the file
3) The top right of the window displayed some processing dashes for a while, and then went away
4) I pressed "close" and the attachment would not show up
5) When I refreshed the page, the attachment appeared under the text entry window as expected.

So it seems that we're getting somewhere...I'm just not entirely sure what to try from here.

Thanks,
Orren

Unfortunately I don't have access to OS X Mavericks so can't do any testing.

As it works here and it works on your own site using other browsers then it appears to be an OS/browser issue, possibly in combination with the php/MySQL versions you have installed.

Did you find a solution to this issue? I have exactly the same problem. Mavericks and Safari 7.0.1

It's going to end up holding back our migration from VB4 as I know a reasonable chunk of our user base use this OS/Browser combination.

Since it appears that it has something to do with the server, a little more information on your hosting environment may be called for.
What OS is the server running (if it is a VPS/Dedi), or is it on shared hosting provider (if so, who).
What web server (apache, nginx, OpenLiteSpeed, etc).
Are you using SuExec (or similar) on the server? Is the server (web) log file showing any error that reflects the upload attempt?
All I know is it works fine on my sites on my servers using the latest Mac OS and Safari.

I'm running on a dedicated server, Centos 5.8, apache 2.2.3, PHP 5.2.10.

I'm not seeing anything in apache or php error logs.

Upload works fine on here from same device and browser:

Screen Shot 2014-02-15 at 01.09.26.webp

I'm running on a dedicated server, Centos 5.8, apache 2.2.3, PHP 5.2.10.

I'm not seeing anything in apache or php error logs.

Upload works fine on here from same device and browser:

View attachment 67285
First thing I'd advise.. upgrade your PHP to something a "little" more recent. 5.2.x series is WAY outdated. After you do that see if it works. Get into (at least) the 5.3 series - preferably 5.4 or 5.5.

Top Bottom