Upgrading to PHP 5.3 . Any Issues or Precaution ?

DFI

Planning to upgrade my php to latest version i.e 5.3 but stuck after reading this.

Using PHP 5.3 will break any sites requiring Zend or ioncube that were encoded with PHP 5.2. We recommend you check with the application developers to see if they have a 5.3 version available.

Anything to worry about or i should go ahead withe upgrade ?

dont know. i have a sharedhoster with 5.5 and xenforo.
If you are on a shared host, it's highly unlikely you would use the GeoIP as it is resource intensive and most shared hosting providers will not allow it. Same with the cache mechanisms - you get what they provide. If you run a VPS or a dedicated server you have more control on what to run - but you don't always get to stay on the bleeding edge if you need some of the older stuff that hasn't been updated to run with it. :(
That's why I usually stay on the next to latest (5.4 vs 5.5) until they get all the modules I need compiled to run with it.

GeoIP works fine... we use it with 5.5.
Did you have to compile yourself or is it shipping for Debian? I have a habit now on the systems (not at home of course) of doing NO compiling of code. Not pre-packaged for the release then not used.
I'll check dotdeb and see if they have it yet.

Last edited:
No idea, I don't use Debian. But I always compile my own PHP binaries even if the version I want is in a repo or RPM. Self-compiled runs quite a bit faster since it's tuned just for your server architecture and not a generic version for everything.

No idea, I don't use Debian. But I always compile my own PHP binaries even if the version I want is in a repo or RPM. Self-compiled runs quite a bit faster since it's tuned just for your server architecture and not a generic version for everything.
That's why I do it on the test boxes at the house but not the production servers. I just hate doing it across multiple servers and then keeping up when they have a bug-fix come out rolling it in. It's easier for me to let the package maintainers do it. :coffee:

Top Bottom