Upgrading My MSI Laptop

BigPete7978

So I have an MSI Stealth laptop that I really like, but I would like to upgrade some things on it if at all possible.

THIS is my current laptop

According to my task manager I am only using 1 of 2 memory slots. It is currently only at 16GB of the max 32GB. So I would like to up it for sure. Do I need to replace both? What is the best options out there for memory for my laptop?

Also I would like to up the SSD that is currently in my laptop. I originally thought there were two SSD's in my laptop, but it seems there is only one, but with a partition. Atleast that is what this image is telling me correct?

SSD.png

I'm curious what the max size or best bang for the buck I could get to upgrade my SSD, or if my laptop can even handle more than one SSD.

Thanks for any input for any of ya'll. I am computer savy, but I am positive ya'll know a hell of a lot more than me.

I've had 3 MSI laptops in the past, the 3rd and final one was a stealth series, lasted less than a week before dying on me (only played ONE game on it too and it ran HOT) rockin an Alienware now and not lookin back :P

As for upgrading ram, 2 things you'll wanna remember:

1) Make sure both are the same make if possible
2) This is crucial, both need to be the same SPEED. So eg:
Stick one is 16GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz
You'll want a 2nd 16GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz stick, putting a 16GB DDR4 @ 4200mhz will cause problems.

Does that make sense?

Unless you can get another DIMM which is exactly the same as the one already installed, then go for a new pair.

Even if you can get one the same, it can still be glitchy if they're not a matched pair.

If it's an old laptop, you may struggle to get new DIMMs for it.

You will only be able to install another SSD if there is a slot available.
If you install a new larger SSD then you will need your Windows license key to reinstall.

I've had 3 MSI laptops in the past, the 3rd and final one was a stealth series, lasted less than a week before dying on me (only played ONE game on it too and it ran HOT) rockin an Alienware now and not lookin back :p

You'll want a 2nd 16GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz stick, putting a 16GB DDR4 @ 4200mhz will cause problems.

Does that make sense?
Yes it does. Who is regarded as the best RAM for a laptop? Are there RAM's that my laptop won't support?

Unless you can get another DIMM which is exactly the same as the one already installed, then go for a new pair.

Even if you can get one the same, it can still be glitchy if they're not a matched pair.

If it's an old laptop, you may struggle to get new DIMMs for it.

You will only be able to install another SSD if there is a slot available.
If you install a new larger SSD then you will need your Windows license key to reinstall.
Well if there isn't a slot is there a way to clone my current SSD to a much larger one? This one is only 500GB, which isn't ****.

It's possible to clone but you will need an external caddy/connection to connect the new SSD to, so you can clone the existing one.

Then Windows will complain that the hardware has changed when you plug the new one in, but that's a simple process to update.

The license key should be on a sticker on the laptop or with the paperwork.

I've had 3 MSI laptops in the past, the 3rd and final one was a stealth series, lasted less than a week before dying on me (only played ONE game on it too and it ran HOT) rockin an Alienware now and not lookin back :p

Does that make sense?
Also I've heard mixed things about Alienware since Dell bought them. Never had one though. Always liked some of the looks they offer with their devices.

I've got an old Dell XPS 17" laptop.

It's still as good as new after about 15 years, maybe even longer - I forget when I bought it.

Over the years I've upgraded it to Windows 10 and put in an SSD but other than that, it's the same.

Also I've heard mixed things about Alienware since Dell bought them. Never had one though. Always liked some of the looks they offer with their devices.
On my 2nd Alienware Laptop since 2018. My 1st one worked fine but a family member dropped something on it while it was open, and broke the keyboard, so that isn't their fault. Never had any major issues with them and absolutely love the customization. Always wanted an Alienware as a kid, now that I use them, pretty happy with them personally.

Well if there isn't a slot is there a way to clone my current SSD to a much larger one? This one is only 500GB, which isn't ****.
If running Windows 10 or 11 simply use the Windows 7 backup option, create a system image onto an external hard drive and then create a recovery disc (CD is what I normally use). Then install your new drive, boot from the recovery CD and restore from the system image. It will put the image back onto the new drive using the same amount of space the original drive was (500GB)... but you can then use the Windows HD utility to expand that partition to fit the new drive.
You most likely will have to go through the process of reactivating Windows again since they detect a HD exchange as a major component update.

I have a dell g3 15 gaming laptop. The only problem I have found as overtime where the heat vents are heat up the top hinges and they tend to break. Mine is really broken and I am not sure if I want to spend the money to fix or just buy a new laptop. I have not priced out getting it fixed but how long before the fix breaks? I have had 4 dells and have no real complaints except the hinge set on this g3.

I use samsung evo ssd in my laptop as far as ram I am sure tiger direct or newegg will have some top reviews.

Top Bottom