XF 1.5 upgrading from 1.5.1 to latest version of 2.0

TUG

About to attempt this over the holidays (slowest time on our forum)...just two quick questions.

1. is it wise (or even suggested) to upgrade to the last version of 1.5 before upgrading to 2.0? the documentation seems to state that you can just upgrade any previous version to 2.0 but I did find some posts from folks who were upgrading very old versions encountering problems during their upgrade?

2. is there a quick "requirement/confict" checker you can run to ensure the server meets or exceeds all minimum requirements in terms of installing and running 2.0 (nevermind, i just found the requirements checker script and ran it!).

notice that the xen requirements state mysql 5.5 or higher, but we have been running on mariadb for years now (currently at mariadb 10.1.43)...i cant seem to locate the 2.0 requirements for mariadb anywhere?

3. any other maintenance or "best practices" for 1.5.1 prior to running the upgrade?

thanks!

Last edited:
yea, tech doesnt think so either...but says its just a simple change to a configuration item within php...still working on it.

ill see if he has any other advice after thats fixed....but at least your posts got me to notice the log file of that size and i can delete it...thats ridiculous to be backed up every night.

Per the add-on thread, I believe you will need to configure friendly URLs for the redirects to work properly (in addition to removing/renaming the files in my previous post). You seem to be using Apache, so this should mostly be a matter of renaming htaccess.txt to .htaccess and flipping the setting.

Reactions: TUG
I do note that neither the htaccess nor the 301config.php file have been changed with the upgrade.

htaccess dated 10/11/2016
301config dated 3/11

also note an htaccess.txt file dated yesterday (when i ran the tool)....its different so im swapping them out to see if that will fix it!

and yes, user friendly urls is configured on this site (has been from start with upgrade from vbulletin)
They weren't working before you updated the .htaccess file, and it still looks like you have the control panel option flipped off. When you turn it on, there will be no index.php? in your links.

still redirects the old links to http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/install/index.php?upgrade/

(note i put back the showthread.php file to the original while im working to fix this with the tech at my host)
Those old files depend on XF1 code. After turning on friendly URLs, try the XF2 add-on once more (and be sure to rename the files, the add-on won't work if showthread.php exists).

ah yes, you mean turn it completely off...sorry..misunderstood there.

and yes, it was not working with og htaccess, and now swithcing it to the htaccess.txt that was created when I ran the xenforo 2.0 redirect script does not seem to make any difference.

and yes, it was not working with og htaccess, and now swithcing it to the htaccess.txt that was created when I ran the xenforo 2.0 redirect script does not seem to make any difference.
To clarify, you're saying you have re-installed/re-enabled the XF2 redirection add-on now (and set the log table in the options correctly), and renamed showthread.php to something else, and it's still not working?

ok..i misunderstood first part...and have now enabled full firendly urls and index.php is gone.

however it still redirects to the install/upgrade folder.

ok...to clarify.

ive uninstalled the xen redirect app...and reinstalled it (after updating forum to full friendly url)

no change at all and all old links still go to the install/upgrade link above for some reason.

no change at all and all old links still go to the install/upgrade link above for some reason.
Did you try removing/renaming showthread.php? It won't work (it will still go to the install/upgrade) if that file actually exists. You want that file not to actually exist.

also of note, renaming showthread.php generates the 404 error when clicking on any of the old links.
That's bizarre. I'm out of ideas then I'm afraid. The XF2 version shouldn't need any of the files from the XF1 version, it should just be handled by the router.

ok....SOMETHING different.

i removed showthread.php and forumdisplay.php and then UNINSTALLED the xen 2.0 redirect script.

now we dont get a 404 error or redirect to the install folder, but instead we see an "opps thread could not be found" within xenforo itself

as an example

SUCCESS!

just to confirm the steps here:

1. uninstalled the xf2 redirect script
2. renamed showthread.php and forumdisplay.php (although im sure there are others tbh, ill have to do more testing)
3. reran xf2 redirect script
4. pointed it to ARCHIVED_IMPORT_LOG (originally pointing it to the regular xf_import_log did not work)

viola! success!

thank you so much for answering my questions this late at night! truly a wonderful community here!

Reactions: arn
Top Bottom