XF 1.5 upgrading from 1.5.1 to latest version of 2.0

TUG

About to attempt this over the holidays (slowest time on our forum)...just two quick questions.

1. is it wise (or even suggested) to upgrade to the last version of 1.5 before upgrading to 2.0? the documentation seems to state that you can just upgrade any previous version to 2.0 but I did find some posts from folks who were upgrading very old versions encountering problems during their upgrade?

2. is there a quick "requirement/confict" checker you can run to ensure the server meets or exceeds all minimum requirements in terms of installing and running 2.0 (nevermind, i just found the requirements checker script and ran it!).

notice that the xen requirements state mysql 5.5 or higher, but we have been running on mariadb for years now (currently at mariadb 10.1.43)...i cant seem to locate the 2.0 requirements for mariadb anywhere?

3. any other maintenance or "best practices" for 1.5.1 prior to running the upgrade?

thanks!

Last edited:
finished without a hitch!

i was actually surprised at how much of the old formatting came over....just cleaning up random items now and waiting for the slew of "put it back like it was" posts to show up today!

that said, most users have found the upgrade pleasing sofar!

thanks again!

ok..so first real glitch ive discovered.

it appears that any REALLY old links posted from the vbulletin migration (years ago to 1.5) now are officially broken with 2.0

it seems all of them that contain the /showthread.php within the link are now defunct, despite the links still having the thread ID at the end.

the super odd part, is that instead of a redirect error or 404 error...it sends folks to a "xenforo upgrade" screen asking them to log in as an administrator. clearly this isnt ideal...any suggestions on this?

even if i have to update the links manually as I find them to make them work again thats not the end of the world, but the redirect to a login asking for the admin password seems like something that needs more immediate attention, although it would be fantastic if i could somehow get 2.0 to recognize that showthread.php item and simply use the threadid to load the proper page.

for instance: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74493

that link worked fine prior to the upgrade to 2.0

and changing the link to https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/74493/ gets it to work fine....but clicking the original link above (which hundreds of users will do as this impacts hundreds of links in all our sticky pages/advice articles etc will redirect them to that upgrade/admin login page...which is bad.

yea, sadly that isnt working at all. nonoe of the "select a vbulletin import log table" options do anything to fix the redirection for showthread.php. im really not quite sure what else to do there.

the instructions are pretty limited to be honest...ive tried selecting both archived import and xf import log...nothing seems to happen once ive done this?

1577407342427.png

just clicking save does nothing, no reconfiguration, no delay, no indication anything is happening behind the scenes.

this seems like a rather significant glitch in an upgrade process?

Last edited:
have uninstalled and reinstalled the add on with no success...is there a better guide on what exactly needs to get done here? this is brutal...now realizing the magnitude of this with all sorts of links from other websites/seo/press releases etc all now failing....

can I ask how this isnt something done by default in 2.0? it all worked fine upgrading from vbulletin to 1.5....why would this revert back in a more recent upgrade?

wow...12 pages and 2+ years of this being an issue...and the answer is to say it isnt supported?

this has to be the most disappointing thing ive encountered since moving from vbulletin. this really should be something mentioned somewhere in the upgrade process or release notes or "things to know before upgrading"

Last edited:
the super odd part, is that instead of a redirect error or 404 error...it sends folks to a "xenforo upgrade" screen asking them to log in as an administrator. clearly this isnt ideal...any suggestions on this?
This smells like a web server configuration issue to me.

can I ask how this isnt something done by default in 2.0? it all worked fine upgrading from vbulletin to 1.5....why would this revert back in a more recent upgrade?
It wasn't done by default in XF1, you would have had to set up something to do the redirects at one point. There was a similar add-on for XF1, or if you preserved IDs (as it appears you may have), this could be done with rewrites/redirects at the web server level.

Reactions: TUG
yes, all the thread ids remain. I truly do not recall having to do any sort of configuration or manipulation when upgrading from vbulletin 4 to xenforo 1.5...and there arent any leftover (I simply disabled all previous add ons prior to install, so i can still view all the old ones).

well..renaming those files using index.php got rid of the redirect to the admin login page, however instead of redirecting to the proper page it just loads the forum home.

at least thats better than loading that admin login page till I can figure out how to actually fix this.

yes, all the thread ids remain. I truly do not recall having to do any sort of configuration or manipulation when upgrading from vbulletin 4 to xenforo 1.5...and there arent any leftover (I simply disabled all previous add ons prior to install, so i can still view all the old ones).
You would have had to either use this add-on or some web server configuration. I'd lean towards the latter if you didn't have a showthread.php file in your XF directory prior to upgrading. You'd need to check your web server configuration (Apache it seems, so in potentially in your .htaccess file) to confirm, and if that's the case you'd need to make some adjustments there to get everything working again.

no those files are still there in the installation directory. I meant there arent any leftover enabled add ons...they are all disabled (and show as red strikethrus in the addon section)...this way i could actually see what I had used during the previous installation.

i do however see a 301config.php in the main directory as well, so perhaps you are correct! I had contracted a xenforo master to do our migration from vb to xen 1.5...so perhaps this was just done at that time behind the scenes knowing it was an issue.

still a bit confused on how to fix it...or what actually got gorked up from when it was previously working in 1.5 if that config file is still there.

still a bit confused on how to fix it...or what actually got gorked up from when it was previously working in 1.5 if that config file is still there.
XF2 is a complete rewrite of the core platform, so virtually nothing that worked on XF1 will continue to work on XF2 without changes. I'm not very familiar with the redirect add-ons, but if you had used the XF1 version prior, I'd imagine getting the XF2 version working would be your best bet.

I get that its a rewrite, im just a bit surprised that something like this that would impact every installation of xenforo that migrated from vbulletin wouldnt have had a better or built in fix...especially given the target market for the product is vbulletin users =)

sadly there was no add on for this...it had to be something done separately post install. or i suppose it could have been deleted post install, though im not sure why that would have been done...i cant rule it out!

although if all that was disabled, im still not quite sure how the suggested redirect script/add on for 2.0 is not working properly. I dont see any sort of errors spit out when installing or configuring it...so im at a loss.

yea there was no add on for this...it had to be something done separately post install.
Sorry, my mistake. The XF1 redirection scripts weren't a "true" add-on in the usual sense (it wouldn't be listed in your control panel), but if you have 301config.php then they were almost certainly set up at some point.

You'll likely want to remove the files from the XF1 version at some point, so that in the event you get the XF2 version working there are no conflicts:
screenshot-vyBoqc.png

although if all that was disabled, im still not quite sure how the suggested redirect script/add on for 2.0 is not working properly. I dont see any sort of errors spit out when installing or configuring it...so im at a loss.
Hopefully somebody knows what the issue might be here.

ok...just noticed the error_log is more than 20 gigabytes in size (fun!). renamed it to have it start over and its full of literally hundreds of entries every second...over and over with these two entries:

[27-Dec-2019 05:44:39 UTC] PHP Warning: Module 'magickwand' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
[27-Dec-2019 05:44:39 UTC] PHP Warning: Module 'imagick' already loaded in Unknown on line 0

(note that even renaming , its already over 100megs in size in less than a minute)

Top Bottom