1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade vs. Update

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Amaury, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

I've noticed that XenForo uses the term "upgrade" when referring to new XenForo versions (e.g., "Please upgrade to the latest version of XenForo and let us know if the issue still persists.) However, I believe "update" would actually be the correct term to use.

I actually made a discussion about the topic in general here a long time ago, and it seems that the majority thinks "update" would be correct because it is the same software -- in this case XenForo -- whereas, say, getting a cable package with more channels would be an upgrade. However, going by that last post, it seems he thinks that third-point releases would be "updates" (e.g., XenForo 1.3.3 > XenForo 1.3.4) while second-point releases, and I guess first-point releases as well (when we get there), would be "upgrades." (@Nights.)

Below I've provided the definitions of each word.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Update?s=t

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Upgrade?s=t

I know this is pretty trivial, but what are your guys' thoughts?

2. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

but 1.3.4 is an upgrade over 1.3.3

Nights and Lisa like this.
  3. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

up·grade [n. uhp-greyd; adj., adv. uhp-greyd; v. uhp-greyd, uhp-greyd]
    noun
    3. a new version, improved model, etc.:
    5. something, as a piece of equipment, that serves to improve or enhance: a full range of upgrades available for your computer.

4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

But then update has a similar one: "6. an updated version, model, or the like."

5. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

I am pretty happy that xenforo releases are real upgrades. By comparison: I am still running vbulletin until I can migrate. vbulletin releases are updates, but no upgrades IMHO.

6. Pereira

Pereira Well-Known Member

Updates are the improvements. Upgrade is the process of implementing the updates i.e. 1.1 > 1.2.

Tracy Perry likes this.
  7. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Exactly as @Pereira states... and update is to existing code level (no revision changes). An upgrade is a version change from one level to another.

8. Nights

Nights Member

^This is an excellent way of putting it.

You upgrade a suit of armor. You update the armor designs.