Upgrade the ignore function to 'block' / Blocking Ignored Users

Razasharp

I think ignoring someone on a forum has never really worked from a users perspective. On vB you could still see the 'ignored' person had posted, and on XF when you ignore someone it doesn't prevent them from quoting you, seeing your threads, posting in them.

Usually when someone 'ignores' someone, what they really want to do is block them.

Any chance of this being included?

Upvote 82
Holy necro thread :)
Honestly? Opinion still hasn't changed.
As someone put it earlier, this works on FB and social media because the focus is on 1:1 interactions there. Replies, everything.
With forums, this is different. This is more of a community , rather than a 1:1 conversation.
Typically, IDC if someone I block quotes my post on a forum, sees my post on a forum, etc... On FB, that's different, because it's a great deal more personal (including the flying insults).

I would really like to see this implemented. Over the years there have many cases were user blocking would have been practical and would have saved us from serious headache.
Xenforo ignore just doesn't work for situations where two members keep attacking each other. They can just undo the ignore feature and respond anyway. So that means that the staff can only resort to warnings and in 90% of the cases it leads to bans. Often of valuable members.
A simple staff function to completely block 2 members from seeing each others content would resolve that headache.

As @Brogan stated its not a function that can be freely used on forums. At least not in an unlimited manner.
But I do think it serves a good purpose to have this.

Holy necro thread :)
Honestly? Opinion still hasn't changed.
As someone put it earlier, this works on FB and social media because the focus is on 1:1 interactions there. Replies, everything.
With forums, this is different. This is more of a community , rather than a 1:1 conversation.
Typically, IDC if someone I block quotes my post on a forum, sees my post on a forum, etc... On FB, that's different, because it's a great deal more personal (including the flying insults).
It's not the case in Facebook groups that works similarly as forum. So the function "Block" will be very usefull in Xenforo and it is asked by many members on my board
Is there any addon that offer this functionnality even a Paid Addon ??

I'm here to bump this thread and show some support for this implementation.

Both Ignore and Block functions can easily live with each other, for real.

Like Twitter, ignore is "mute" a person.
Block, well... Block is block.

The internet has created new relationships across the world, and there is some people who doesn't want to see another people interacting and posting replies or reacting in their world. Ok, I'm fine with that.

The Block function is a must have.

If XF does't want it, ok. I'm sure some developer will code some add on that I'm very willing to buy (if have a nice price).

Bumping again, has this not been implemented yet. or did I miss it?

Nope. Still no block. I'm on the fence as to whether I'd want it. My proposal would be to have two separate functions, Ignore and Block:

Ignore - as now
Block - as discussed, stops the blocked user from seeing you as well as you from seeing the blocked user

I would also, however, want the option for admins to turn off one or both.

For instance, I don't think my forum needs Block and I would rather not have it around (we're a small board to start with and wide use of Blocks could quickly shut the whole flow of conversation down) whereas I do find Ignore occasionally useful. Yes, I can still see that the Ignored person has posted but at least I have to consciously do something to see the post(s) rather than having them right in my face.

All that said, I'm not sure "Block" is necessarily "core code" stuff. Could be an add-on if someone is willing to write it.

Nope. Still no block. I'm on the fence as to whether I'd want it. My proposal would be to have two separate functions, Ignore and Block:

Ignore - as now
Block - as discussed, stops the blocked user from seeing you as well as you from seeing the blocked user

I would also, however, want the option for admins to turn off one or both.

For instance, I don't think my forum needs Block and I would rather not have it around (we're a small board to start with and wide use of Blocks could quickly shut the whole flow of conversation down) whereas I do find Ignore occasionally useful. Yes, I can still see that the Ignored person has posted but at least I have to consciously do something to see the post(s) rather than having them right in my face.

All that said, I'm not sure "Block" is necessarily "core code" stuff. Could be an add-on if someone is willing to write it.
it becomes more of an issue with a little bit bigger forum. we are just starting to see the need manifest itself as a definite

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is a must have function on this days and i hope that XF's Team implement this.

Specially in a polarized world, both in social and political aspects, with stalkers, cyber criminals and other crazy people, i can respect the idea of give the user a proper function to do a full block against a person.

And my suggestion, broadly discussed in various other platforms, is like what @Mendalla told: Give the user both options.

• A Ignore function, working like the "Mute" button from Twitter, as it is now;
  • And a Block function, to make someone totally "invisible" for the user.

Please XF, consider this. And consider all the social aspects behind that idea.

Unfortunately this is a must have function on this days and i hope that XF's Team implement this.

Specially in a polarized world, both in social and political aspects, with stalkers, cyber criminals and other crazy people, i can respect the idea of give the user a proper function to do a full block against a person.

And my suggestion, broadly discussed in various other platforms, is like what @Mendalla told: Give the user both options.

• A Ignore function, working like the "Mute" button from Twitter, as it is now;
  • And a Block function, to make someone totally "invisible" for the user.

Please XF, consider this. And consider all the social aspects behind that idea.
agree to all above. maybe if we keep talking about it, something will happen???

I'm split on this idea. I like the general idea of blocking, but also see the drawbacks, especially on larger forums.

Remember, even if XF offers a "block" function (whose access is controlled by usergroup, like other functions), that does not mean we have to use it. But for those who want it, it would still be there.

Top Bottom