XF 2.2 Updating to 2.2.1 - addon fun

ichpen

So I'm rehearsing a 2.2 upgrade from a 2.1.11 forum on a test VM with a real copy of my prod data. This is more of an FYI post.

Good thing for dress rehearsals.

Uploaded the 2.2.1 upgrade package.
Going to /install I get
"XenForo is already installed in your database. Continuing will remove all XenForo-related data from your database!" Then "You cannot proceed unless all XenForo database tables are removed." This is a new install message.

Obviously I'm not picking the delete all data option as this is supposed to be an upgrade.

I have an install-lock.php file present in internal_data with "<?php header('Location: ../index.php'); /* Installed: Sat, 25 Apr 15 15:56:54 +0000 */".

I check and I see TH Reactions Plus is breaking the board admin & upgrade process completely. Disabling listeners, disabling this addon and re-enabling listeners seems to resolve this. So more of an FYI in case someone hits this problem. On a side note if you are running Chris' S3 addon you will want to temporarily remove or wrap all in IF statements the s3 classes in config.php as it will croak the install also when you disable listeners.

Overall not the cleanest major upgrade but hey dress rehearsals.

On a side note if you are running Chris' S3 addon you will want to temporarily remove or wrap all in IF statements the s3 classes in config.php as it will croak the install also when you disable listeners.

That is good to know since we might begin storing data offline after we get upgraded to 2.2.

And 👍👍 for the test upgrades. I did a couple myself within the past week. It made the final upgrade much easier.

That is good to know since we might begin storing data offline after we get upgraded to 2.2.

And 👍👍 for the test upgrades. I did a couple myself within the past week. It made the final upgrade much easier.

Glad to have helped but mindful of this one.

Upgrade to 2.2 was rougher than my upgrade to 2.0 from 1.x. I really wish XF would offer some assistance or bridging/deprecation capabilities to app devs to make the transition smoother. Right now 90% of my addons and themes have breaking changes. which means that each app and dependencies have to be individually revisited and so forth. This is extremely time consuming if you are running 20+ addons and provides for a very negative end user experience whilst this is happening.

Great platform but addon management continues to be its Achilles heel.

I really didn't have any issues with add-ons, except for one major add-on that hasn't been updated for 2.2 yet.

I no longer edit templates--instead, I create my own add-ons that apply template modifications where needed. I find it easier to build these add-ons so that when I go to customize the live version of the forum, all I need to do is install the add-ons I created from my test copy. It also made my two 2.1 to 2.2 upgrades simpler, not having to worry about template merges as much. (In fact, on my second upgrade, I didn't have to merge any at all--that's a first.) There is a lot more to this concept, and in a couple of months I may create a resource for it. But I have two major upgrades coming up, and those need to get completed ASAP.

It's hard for the developers here to anticipate how we will put our forums together, so we will all have these different upgrade experiences. I've had a couple of terrible experiences, and I've had smooth ones.

Top Bottom