Implemented Unsubscribe Link From Email Users

Brent W

We already have this ability for subscription to threads and such. If I send out an email via the Email Users section I should be able to include an unsubscribe link at the end of the email easily so that they can one click unsubscribe from the Receive Mailings From Admin option.

Upvote 17
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I suspect he means a one-click unsubscribe without the user needing to log in to complete it. I did exactly that when I sent out an announcement newsletter when we migrated to XenForo (close to 1,000,000 emails sent). The mailer I created generated a unique hash for each user that ultimately was a variable to allow one-click disabling the "Receive site mailings" option on the account without the user needing to go through logging in (if they received the email, we assume they are the user).

I suspect he means a one-click unsubscribe without the user needing to log in to complete it. I did exactly that when I sent out an announcement newsletter when we migrated to XenForo (close to 1,000,000 emails sent). The mailer I created generated a unique hash for each user that ultimately was a variable to allow one-click disabling the "Receive site mailings" option on the account without the user needing to go through logging in (if they received the email, we assume they are the user).
I'm in the process of migrating my 700 000 + users to xenforo and will be sending an email to them as well.

1. How are you managing the bounced emails with xenforo?

2. Are you able to release the one click unsubcribe. That would be a much needed feature.

Thanks.

1. I have a process that greps our mail logs nightly and then takes the emails that bounced and sets those user's "user_state" to "email_confirm" (meaning those users need to have their email confirmed).

2. It's no where remotely in a form that anyone else could use... The unsubscribe part could be, but not the part that generates the unique link since that's just a small part of the newsletter system I wrote that is unique to us. So you ultimately would have the issue of getting the unique link into whatever newsletter system you are using.

I did exactly the same. It's better than a lazy users click on "SPAM".

1. I have a process that greps our mail logs nightly and then takes the emails that bounced and sets those user's "user_state" to "email_confirm" (meaning those users need to have their email confirmed).
I have the same addon, but I change it to "email_confirm_edit" as Mike suggested this is the best state for bounced mails. I do wonder whether xenforo sends out notifications to these mail addresses.

The CAN-SPAM act makes it illegal to send out bulk mail without an opt-out function. As users can still unsubscribe, its debatable if the current XF setup is legal or not.
What's more important is that email providers do not allow such bulk mail which can lead to blacklisting of xenforo sent email. IMO this should be stock functionality.

I believe this is really important.

In addition, in order to further be in accordance with CAN-SPAM, I'd like to see an opt-in (unchecked) "Receive site mailings" setting upon new user registration. I know you can enable/disable it globally for new users, but having the option to allow a user to opt-in upon registration would be fantastic.

I'm in the process of migrating my 700 000 + users to xenforo and will be sending an email to them as well.

1. How are you managing the bounced emails with xenforo?

2. Are you able to release the one click unsubcribe. That would be a much needed feature.

Thanks.

You can use the "[bd] mails" add-on to send via mandrill to achieve this.

Top Bottom