Fixed Add support for One-Click E-Mail Unsubscribe Header

So somewhat of a final update, I think we're mostly done here as far as this thread goes.

In most cases the URL included in the HTTP part of the header will unsubscribe everything except DM notifications unless it is triggered on an email sent using a conversation/direct_message template, in which case everything is unsubscribed.

I've also changed the email footer on emails sent via Communication > Email users to be more granular. It now includes two links, one for just removing from the mailing list, and another for disabling all emails, the HTTP part of the header doing the latter (excluding DMs).

I'm still considering this which I feel will be worthwhile as an option:

These changes have been made in both XF 2.2 and XF 2.3 and will be in the next release.

Great to hear! I'm now hoping the next release of XF2.2 is out soon enough I've got time to test and deploy before the 1st of February before google/yahoo start making delivering email even harder

so just to be clear... when i click on the unsubscribe button in gmail header... xenforo would disable email alerts from all followed threads along with a few other settings except for DMs? but i would still be watching them i suppose.

should i post a feature request to replace unwatch button with a manage follow because right now, there is no easy way to see which watched thread has email alerts enabled. and only option is to unwatch and rewatch (or post a reply with email alerts enabled in preferences)... :unsure: maybe some kind of an icon on this page for email alert enabled threads would be nice to have.

so just to be clear... when i click on the unsubscribe button in gmail header... xenforo would disable email alerts from all followed threads along with a few other settings except for DMs?
E-Mails for DMs would be disabled if "One-Click Unsubscribe" is trigered from a DM notification email, in all other cases emails for DMs would not be disabled.
All other watch / admin news / activity summary emails would be disabled.

but i would still be watching them i suppose.
Yes and alerts / push notifications (if not opted out) would also stay active.

Something to be aware of is O365 Outlook + hotmail.com/outlook.com results in some weird stripping of some of the headers, so List-Unsubscribe-Post doesn't show up when viewing the headers in the desktop app, but via the web interface shows they are there.

But that same header shows up when using a paid O365 account with that same outlook instance, so that is confusing.

Hello.

After updating my forums, I get this error when posting a message:

• Error: Call to undefined method Swift_Mime_Headers_UnstructuredHeader::getBodyAsString()
  • src/XF/Mail/Mail.php:247

If I disable the new option , the error does not appear.

Thanks for reporting @Mike.smith.35.

Yes, indeed. This is the problem with trying to maintain two different versions (2.2 and 2.3) especially when one of them has an entirely different e-mail library.

I think we unintentionally overwrote a line of code during a merge. I've just released XenForo 2.2.14 Patch 1 to address this. This only applies if you have both HTTP and email methods enabled. If you have either one, you won't run into it.

It doesn't look like this is working on my forum.
I can see the headers, but it's not showing the unsubscribe button in a test mail that I send to my gmail 🤔 (Reply on a DM)
I'm on 2.2.14 Patch 2
I'm using Amazon SES to send out mail.
Is there anything else I need to do?
I do see the button in the mails from xenforo.com

same situation here. using ses. got one email update yet and it did not have the unsubscribe option in top part of gmail like on xenforo mails. http option is enabled in backend. would keep an eye on future alerts.

Get more Gmail users receiving your emails and clicking on the enail-stop link in the HTML :)

Yahoo (Android app at least) does not require this "trust level" to show the Unsubscribe button.
Aha, ok. So it can take some time.
I didn't know.
In that case I will check again later.
Thanks for clarifying that. :)

Last edited:
heh. it has been more than a few days. i guess my site does not generate enough mails for gmail to show the unsubscribe option. source definitely has the relevant code so all looks well. i guess i should try with a yahoo id and confirm on yahoo android.

heh. it has been more than a few days. i guess my site does not generate enough mails for gmail to show the unsubscribe option. source definitely has the relevant code so all looks well. i guess i should try with a yahoo id and confirm on yahoo android.
Same here, I understood if people do not click on the unsuscribe link in the html (bottom) of the mail it will not show.
Eventually it will probably show up I expect. I'm not worried about it. As long as the header is there it's ok.