1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsubscribe Link From Email Users

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by BamaStangGuy, Nov 1, 2013.

1. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Well-Known Member

We already have this ability for subscription to threads and such. If I send out an email via the Email Users section I should be able to include an unsubscribe link at the end of the email easily so that they can one click unsubscribe from the Receive Mailings From Admin option.

radu81, bgpforum, rafass and 12 others like this.
  2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

It's already available.

The very last part of an e-mail:

3. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Well-Known Member

No its not if you send through the AdminCP via the Email Users option.

whynot and Amaury like this.
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

I suspect he means a one-click unsubscribe without the user needing to log in to complete it. I did exactly that when I sent out an announcement newsletter when we migrated to XenForo (close to 1,000,000 emails sent). The mailer I created generated a unique hash for each user that ultimately was a variable to allow one-click disabling the "Receive site mailings" option on the account without the user needing to go through logging in (if they received the email, we assume they are the user).

5. Hornstar

Hornstar Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of migrating my 700 000 + users to xenforo and will be sending an email to them as well.

1. How are you managing the bounced emails with xenforo?

2. Are you able to release the one click unsubcribe. That would be a much needed feature.

Thanks.

6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

1. I have a process that greps our mail logs nightly and then takes the emails that bounced and sets those user's "user_state" to "email_confirm" (meaning those users need to have their email confirmed).

2. It's no where remotely in a form that anyone else could use... The unsubscribe part could be, but not the part that generates the unique link since that's just a small part of the newsletter system I wrote that is unique to us. So you ultimately would have the issue of getting the unique link into whatever newsletter system you are using.

7. Marcus

Marcus Well-Known Member

I did exactly the same. It's better than a lazy users click on "SPAM".

Alfa1 likes this.
  8. Marcus

Marcus Well-Known Member

I have the same addon, but I change it to "email_confirm_edit" as Mike suggested this is the best state for bounced mails. I do wonder whether xenforo sends out notifications to these mail addresses.

9. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

The CAN-SPAM act makes it illegal to send out bulk mail without an opt-out function. As users can still unsubscribe, its debatable if the current XF setup is legal or not.
    What's more important is that email providers do not allow such bulk mail which can lead to blacklisting of xenforo sent email. IMO this should be stock functionality.

Xon, semprot, Iversia and 4 others like this.
  10. StonePilot

StonePilot Member

On top of this, how do I opt-out a single user? Just kill all of the subscriptions?

11. Iversia

Iversia Well-Known Member

I believe this is really important.

In addition, in order to further be in accordance with CAN-SPAM, I'd like to see an opt-in (unchecked) "Receive site mailings" setting upon new user registration. I know you can enable/disable it globally for new users, but having the option to allow a user to opt-in upon registration would be fantastic.

12. nrep

nrep Well-Known Member

Have you thought about releasing this as an addon, I'm currently looking for something that does just that :).

13. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

You can use the "[bd] mails" add-on to send via mandrill to achieve this.