1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unofficial chat channel of xenforo users

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Jungalist81, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Jungalist81

Jungalist81 Member

I was wondering if any active xenforo users would be inclined to gather and mingle at an unofficial Xenforo IRC channel?

I think this will proved to be useful as it will:
    - move lots of short conversations posts to the chat channel instead
    - allow ppl to get off-and-on topic
    - allow ppl to engage in live conversation about the lawsuit and everything else
    - help ppl be direct with one another
    - create a positive and civil atmosphere.

Xenforo unofficial chat channel
    Nickname: yourname (it is free and there is no signup required)
    Channel: #xenforo (yes include the # symbol)
  2. simbolo

simbolo Well-Known Member

Just an FYI, If you're using a client you'll want to connect to irc.freenode.net.
  3. Banana Pup

Banana Pup Well-Known Member

I am in process of starting my own network, would be great to have the xenforo channel there :) Would be happy to set up the channel and give select "well known members" channel OP
  4. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Time to break out mirc + invision ! and remember the crazy days of dal.net !
  5. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Can't say I would favor or use this. I'm more into keeping conversations on a community and not into a chat room.

But I wish you luck
  6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I see a bunch of freeloaders trying to get support through it, on top of that response time on the forums for support is ridiculously fast :).

Not that it's a bad idea, just might get used in the wrong way
    0xym0r0n, Adam Howard and Steve F like this.
  7. Robbo

Robbo Well-Known Member

I idle in many rooms and will idle in a XenForo one if it is on the node.
    gldtn likes this.
  8. Marcus

Marcus Well-Known Member

I appreciate the idea although I do guess forking xf discussions over multiple platforms would not help xenforo.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  9. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

#xenforo is open on irc.freenode.net, feel free to join. I'm always on #centos, #nginx and #naxsi channels.
  10. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

irc seems soo 2000
    I wouldn't use it, I barely use the support forums ;)
  11. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

For developers, IRC is vital. You will be surprised how many brilliant minds are chatting daily on it.
  12. kprojects

kprojects Well-Known Member

I'm on freenode most days anyway in other channels.. i'll stop by.. good idea.
  13. Jungalist81

Jungalist81 Member

"IRC is so 2000"

Oh yea I agree Brandon Sheley but Ive seen it having a big comeback to Video Game sites and other media sites. Heh... I remember back in 2001, before AOL messaging, us geeks used IRC. Fast forward to now and you will see lots of big communities, like Minecraft, utilizing a IRC channel now.
  14. Robbo

Robbo Well-Known Member

The channel needs to be ##xenforo. Freenode policy is one # for official and 2 for unofficial.
  15. kprojects

kprojects Well-Known Member

This is true..

Just signed into #xenforo.. if you're on and into linux, join me in #linuxforum.com also :)
  16. Garamond

Garamond Well-Known Member

2000? I'd say 1995 ;)
  17. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

18. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

I definitely think we should forget this IRC idea and just meet in the middle of the ocean. We can throw USB sticks containing the latest resources between the ships. It's basically the same thing.
  19. Robbo

Robbo Well-Known Member

I idle on many IRC channels! Leave it alone!

It has also created business opportunities for me (which none have worked out D: ) as well from the people I meet.
  20. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

We used to use IRC a hell of a lot.

Being a gaming community, it was sensible thing to have an IRC channel on irc.quakenet.org.

I think we still have, actually... probably #halflife2

However, being heavily focused around Half-Life 2 in the early days and now generally any Valve Software game/product our chat presence is all on Steam.

Still holds a special place in my heart.

/me slaps Robbo around a bit with a large trout