Unmanaged or Managed

dooma

Hello,

Which one is more better to host your new xenforo forums managed web hosting from a known company to avoid headache of unmanaged OR purchase a vps with digitalocean or ovh and install my forums ? I can do both but I feel confused which one I go with, so what is your suggestion ? :)

If your suggestion is managed, which company do you suggest? And please also suggest if your opinion is unmanaged hosting ??

Thanks a lot

Regards,

managed web hosting from a known company to avoid headache of unmanaged OR purchase a vps with digitalocean or ovh and install my forums ?
It depends upon your skill level and confidence, and time/cost to exercise that skill.
If you have the skill and the time, and enjoy it, then unmanaged and save yourself some $. Otherwise, get someone else to do it for you.
Some are also getting unmanaged, and then a monthly service from XF experienced providers to manage not only their server but keep their XF services optimised.

My first VPS years ago was unmanaged, I just followed guides to secure it properly and learned from there. Best decision I ever made, big money saver.

My first VPS years ago was unmanaged, I just followed guides to secure it properly and learned from there. Best decision I ever made, big money saver.
Thanks for your replay so your current forums are managed by you?, and which vps provider you choose ?

IMO @Adham.M managed is the way to go - more time you can dedicate to making content and building your community vs. ensuring server upkeep.

I'm happy with LiquidWeb VPS - though they're quite pricey.

To be honest, most managed providers don't do a whole lot. They setup your server initially, and don't do a whole lot after that unless there's a problem, OS patch, etc. So you are paying for a managed service (and often a control panel, because most managed providers require one) that you might never really use, outside of the initial setup and configuration.

You're going to save a lot of money going with unmanaged, and if you really get yourself in a bind, or need something specific done that is beyond your skill set, you can simply hire a 3rd party server admin for an hour or two.

Linode and Digital Ocean are probably your two best bets as far as unmanaged goes. I personally use Linode.
An additional provider that I've had VERY good luck with is RamNode. And their KVM plans have more storage/transfer than either Linode or DO for the same price.

So you are paying for a managed service (and often a control panel, because most managed providers require one)
THIS is the main reason that I don't really like managed services. Heck, once the panel is installed, maintenance is a breeze, so why pay someone extra. And to me the panel is a robbing of resources on a VPS.
Just as easy to do a base install of something like CentOS and then use @eva2000 CentMin and get the core services you need and then get an outside MTA service and use SMTP for your mail.
In fact, I'm about to move one of my sites and my blog over to a VPS from the current dedicated server and plan on doing exactly this. Since I'm bringing most of my sites offline and the one I'm moving is not busy a VPS will fit it fine and save me about $100 a month that I can use for my guitar lessons.

Last edited:
The best thing about managed servers is avoiding the headache but I may go with unmanaged server and I will install centminmod because I used it before and everything was running fine. While looking for a good vps, I found Contabo.com with great prices. Anyone tried it?

The best thing about managed servers is avoiding the headache but I may go with unmanaged server and I will install centminmod because I used it before and everything was running fine. While looking for a good vps, I found Contabo.com with great prices. Anyone tried it?

A managed provider is also good just because they'll have your back so to speak. If you're out and about and got an alert for some issue, they can take care of it for you. Not sure about that latest security alert? They'll help you with that. And if you request a copy of what they do each time, you can learn over time which would be a good skillset to have.

An additional provider that I've had VERY good luck with is RamNode. And their KVM plans have more storage/transfer than either Linode or DO for the same price.
But why you choose KVM, why not Openvz ? I tried ramnode before and I was happy with them.

But why you choose KVM, why not Openvz ? I tried ramnode before and I was happy with them.
KVM is just a preference I have. It allows more control over certain kernel aspects that OpenVZ doesn't allow since OpenVZ uses a shared kernel.

With VirtualBox you can essentially create your own VPS on your home PC, break it, then re-install it as many times as you want until you get comfortable with it. Just grab an Ubuntu ISO or a CentOS ISO and you're ready to rock and roll. If you really want to go nuts try FreeBSD. At that point you won't need a managed VPS because you'll be able to do it all yourself. There's plenty of guides out there that will walk you through getting this done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom