XF 1.3 Unknown Upgrade - Information: No txn_id. No action to take.

The request didn't have a txn_id, so it's not something we can process (because we need to dupe check).

Can you show some of the full details on these? (Perhaps privately)

I have some of these on my site.

As far as I can tell, they are related to aborted/failed upgrades.

I changed the PayPal address used for upgrades but some members didn't cancel the recurring upgrades in their PayPal accounts.

Looking at the ones from @Brogan's site, they are basically all subscription related -- basically just messages that we ignore anyway as they don't relate to payments.

I recently enabled user upgrades for the first time, and appear to have received an "Information: No txn_id. No action to take." message along with every successful upgrade. Is this a concern?

Hate to bump an old thread, but my searching didn't reveal any answers.

I've had User Upgrades running happily for about a year now, and I'm currently on xf 1.4.10. However, I'm still getting the odd "No txn_id" for specific users. Eventually they exceed the max allowed payment attempts and their subscriptions fail, and then I'm asked to explain to them why *I* cancelled their subscription :)

Is there a known "fix" for this issue?

This is an informational message. It's a message that indicates we won't do anything because there's no txn_id value (which isn't unusual). It won't cause any errors.

AFAIK, even if it did cause errors, they'd be IPN errors and they wouldn't affect the subscription itself. It seems to me that PayPal itself is failing to collect payment from these users.

Sorry Mike, maybe I'm missing something obvious here so please bare with me.

If no txn_id "isn't unusual" and "wouldn't affect the subscription itself", then how do you explain that every no txn_id in my Transaction Log has resulted in expired subscriptions due to (unintentionally) failed payments?

We just log everything that PayPal sends to us. It's most likely that PayPal is actually sending a notification indicating payment couldn't be taken. There may be correlation between them but no causation.

This is an informational message. It's a message that indicates we won't do anything because there's no txn_id value (which isn't unusual). It won't cause any errors.
Having recently activated subscription upgrades, I'm seeing this also ....

Code:
User Upgrade Transaction Log
Action: Payment: Payment received, upgraded/extended
User: <redacted>
Upgrade: <redacted>
Date:Today at 10:59
Transaction ID:3X599<redacted>
Subscriber ID:I-W1G1L<redacted>
Details
transaction_subject    Account Upgrade: <redacted>
payment_date    13:59:44 Feb 07, 2016 PST
txn_type    subscr_payment
subscr_id    I-W1G1L<redacted>
last_name    <redacted>
residence_country    AU
item_name    Account Upgrade: <redacted>
payment_gross   
mc_currency    AUD
business    <redacted>
payment_type    instant
protection_eligibility    Ineligible
verify_sign    ALJ3TUwwmqMu<redacted>
payer_status    verified
payer_email    <redacted>
txn_id    3X599089<redacted>
receiver_email    <redacted>
first_name    <redacted>
payer_id    B9EUQJ<redacted>
receiver_id    W7JJNC<redacted>
payment_status    Completed
payment_fee   
mc_fee    0.56
mc_gross    10.00
custom    <redacted>
charset    windows-1252
notify_version    3.8
ipn_track_id    62bf<redacted>
_callbackIp    173.0<redacted>

Code:
User Upgrade Transaction Log
Action: Information: No txn_id. No action to take.
User: Unknown Account
Only log entries that involve a successful payment will be attached to a user and user upgrade.
Upgrade: Unknown Upgrade
Date:Today at 10:59
Subscriber ID:I-W1G1L<redacted>
Details
txn_type    subscr_signup
subscr_id    I-W1G1L<redacted>
last_name    <redacted>
residence_country    AU
mc_currency    AUD
item_name    Account Upgrade: <redacted>

You can see in the first transaction log entry there is a txn_id, but the 2nd transaction log entry - at the same time, and for the same transaction - is giving the information/error.

Looking at PayPal transaction activity, I see ...

Code:
date                 description                                                     actions 
8:59 AM         Recurring payment from <redacted>      Completed
8:59 AM         Recurring payment to <redacted>           Created

!! The "Recurring payment to <redacted>" is alarming !!

Looking at the detail for each of the PayPal transactions, it looks OK though and both are creation of the subscrption - but it should say "recurring payment FROM instead of to. Not sure if this is a PayPal or Xenforo issue? - with the top line being the actual payment received.

Perhaps Xenforo can remove the "Unknown Upgrade - Information: No txn_id. No action to take." transaction log entry if it's not unusual, ignored, and won't cause errors. It's quite alarming if it's actually meaningless.

Looking at the detail for each of the PayPal transactions, it looks OK though and both are creation of the subscrption - but it should say "recurring payment FROM instead of to. Not sure if this is a PayPal or Xenforo issue? - with the top line being the actual payment received.
That would be a PayPal issue if it's listed on their site. The example logs don't show anything going "to" the other person (and you can't exactly setup an outgoing payment without you doing anything).

Perhaps Xenforo can remove the "Unknown Upgrade - Information: No txn_id. No action to take." transaction log entry if it's not unusual, ignored, and won't cause errors. It's quite alarming if it's actually meaningless.
It's called out explicitly as an "informational" message, rather than an error or a payment. We intentionally log every request from PayPal to aid debugging of issues (which is really all the transaction log should be needed for). If you see actual "error" lines (or no entries at all), then there may be something to look into.

Top Bottom