Unhappy IPB Customer

erich

Hello,
As the title says, I'm pretty unhappy with IPB and I'm thinking about making the switch to Xenoforo. I wanted to talk with developers/community members about Xenoforo and the community as a whole. Currently I run my gaming community website on Wordpress. It looks nice , but wordpress is very very slow and the bbpress just sucks. I've heavily modified it myself with the help of the Wordpress community. I do get peer-to-peer support from the community at IPB but it isn't anything like the support I get from the Wordpress community. As far as the ticket support goes, well....the developers/official support is beyond unhelpful and awful.

Can Xenoforo do all if not most of the same thing IPB can do? IPB has a nice way to create customized pages with nice looking SEO friendly URLs. Is this something Xenoforo can do? Does Xenoforo have documentation about themes? I've built webpages for many yearas, and I've turned into a CSS Framework junkie. I can't stand themes/sites that don't utilize some sort of framework. To me, it brings peace and harmony in a chaotic realm known as "the web". Does Xenoforo have a CSS framwork similar to Bootstrap?

I'm interested in hearing from developers. I'm not a total idiot when it comes to some coding, but I'd like to get the info from a developer who uses it heavily. I generally modify my boards to suit my needs and so I'm curious how easy it is to work with? Is there good documentation? Does the community help out?

I've noticed a lot of addition/plugins to the board. Are the majority of them maintained? Also, as far as security goes, do the plugins that are available to buy, do they go through a quality check? I know the more plugins one introduces the more exploit chances can occur.

I think that's all I have for now. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Basically what I need to do with my "homepage" is the following:

Use the RSS Importer to pull in feeds of games my community members play.

Display those on my homepage like I currently have them
Make a "featured news" section . I'd like the images and information to be dynamic, but I guess I can settle with a slider ...though I don't want the extra jquery/javascript on my homepage.
Customize my node to look like an "article system"

I think that's really the basics of what I need to do /learn to do with Xenforo to accomplish what I need.

Oh...now that I look at that page you showed me. It does look like the one I linked earlier is using that Portal system. Curious. I wonder how easy it is to customize that portal page?

Use the RSS Importer to pull in feeds of games my community members play.

Display those on my homepage like I currently have them
Make a "featured news" section . I'd like the images and information to be dynamic, but I guess I can settle with a slider ...though I don't want the extra jquery/javascript on my homepage.
Customize my node to look like an "article system"

My first thought was Wordpress. :p

Why not go with LPH's Wordpress + Xenforo integration ?

Curious. I wonder how easy it is to customize that portal page?
Easy Peasy for you.

My first thought was Wordpress. :p

Why not go with LPH's Wordpress + Xenforo integration ?

I thought about this, but most bridges don't work exactly the way I'd like them to. I want dual login methods and registration methods. Most require a single registration method or sign in method. I'm fine with this in almost most cases, until you start adding social login methods which never work properly.

I thought about this, but most bridges don't work exactly the way I'd like them to. I want dual login methods or registration methods. Most require a single registration method or sign in method. I'm fine with this in almost most cases, until you start adding social login methods which never work properly.
XenWord is the best and LPH is a great guy.
And he's got help now too.

http://www.tuxreports.com/community/xenword/
Login there and ask your excellent questions.

social login methods which never work properly.
Good point. Ask LPH !!

I want dual login methods and registration methods

Sorry to barge in but thought I'd answer here. XenWord requires XenForo to be the master database. It's cleaner than the WordPress login system. XenForo members can be copied over to WordPress.

In the future (could be tomorrow, could be 10 years from now) my hope is to get the authentication system to be WP, XF, Facebook, Twitter, etc .... and have all the accounts separate and associated. It's a huge project.

Sorry to barge in but thought I'd answer here. XenWord requires XenForo to be the master database. It's cleaner than the WordPress login system. XenForo members can be copied over to WordPress.

In the future (could be tomorrow, could be 10 years from now) my hope is to get the authentication system to be WP, XF, Facebook, Twitter, etc .... and have all the accounts separate and associated. It's a huge project.

Thanks for chiming in LPH. I did look over you bridge and it looks very nice.

I'm ok if Xen controls the login/registration method. I currently use buddypress and if I make the switch to go with the bridge, I'll want the forum software to control all of that. At the same time, the friendly urls will always contain something like "/forums/members" or "forums/page" ?

Thanks again for the information

Top Bottom