1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipb migration, new customer

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Steven UK, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Steven UK

Steven UK New Member

We have pretty much decided to use Xenforo software to migrate to, after serious duplicate content problems with SEO on IPB software, which I wont bore you with.

We are using/migrating from IPB 3.3 so the question I want to ask, is if the URL redirection, and seamless migration will still work?

Please let the answer be yes?

Thank you in advance, and we hopefully look forward to becoming part of the Xenforo arena.

Adam Howard, R_A and Pereira like this.
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

JVCode and Steven UK like this.
  3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

4. Steven UK

Steven UK New Member

Excellent, and thanks for the fast replies, much appreciated!

We will give it ago.
    Walter likes this.
  5. Lost

Lost Well-Known Member

I moved from IPB to XenForo a few months ago. Best forum decision I've made... ever.
    R_A and Steven UK like this.
  6. Steven UK

Steven UK New Member

Is there a 'market place' committed to Xenforo, for plug ins, skins, mods, etc, like they have on IPB? Also, I have seen Xenforo forums that have blogs attached, and homepages that are not the actual forum, http://www.valvetime.net/, for example. Are these all optional extras, or do these features come as standard with the software?

Thanks in advance.
  7. Chris D

Yes, the Marketplace is known as the Resource Manager, and it's right here on these forums: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/

You should be able to browse that without a license, but of course you can't download anything without being a licensed customer.

Our website, ValveTime.net, uses XenPorta for its home page. This is a highly customisable portal that allows you to have your portal home page as the index controller (instead of the forum home page).

It is not an official add-on, but one of the most popular in the Resource Manager.

XenForo developers have stated that they will eventually work towards some sort of content management system though this is probably miles away on the roadmap. They want to make sure the forum is perfect before adding that kind of thing.
    Steven UK likes this.
  8. Steven UK

Steven UK New Member

Excellent, Thank you :)
    Yorick likes this.
  9. SEO God

SEO God New Member

Watch out. I've noticed a 13% decline in SEO since I started installing some plugins.
  10. Chris D

You being an SEO God might be able to explain why then? :p

Which plugins?
  11. SEO God

SEO God New Member

Nice try, I'm not going to give away my secrets that easy.
  12. Chris D

How very "community" of you.
    Adam Howard and ragtek like this.
  13. SEO God

SEO God New Member

SEO is a dog eat dog world. If everyone has good SEO then I'm in trouble. There is no such thing as good content, only good SEO. Remember that and you can make as much money as me.
  14. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

He asked which plugins? (that doesn't involve you giving away any SEO secrets does it? ;))
    hellreturn and Yorick like this.
  15. Steven UK

Steven UK New Member

Well, considering I am coming from IPB software, where the SEO on that platform is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, it has to be an improvement.
    Adam Howard, Forsaken, JVCode and 2 others like this.
  16. BlackJacket

BlackJacket Well-Known Member

This made me LOL out loud...
  17. Steve10

Steve10 Well-Known Member

Well that's the biggest ******** I ever read.
    ragtek, Jarod and Yorick like this.
  18. Steven UK

Steven UK New Member

Can somebody please answer me this:

On our current IPB platform, there is the Rich Snippets (Voting Stars) that Google also index, and are extremely useful for our members, as we are a review site essentially, so is there anything on Xenforo that offers this, and if not, do you think it would be a simple process to have a third-party developer code in?

If you are not sure what they are, please see the top result of our forum in the SERPS here:

Thank You
  19. Chris D

Ahh I see what you mean.

I think it would be relatively simple to implement, but it all depends on having the information available on the page. There isn't a built in review system on XenForo or a thread rating system but the upcoming Resource Manager will have one and this add-on is a review system for books: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/book-reviews-by-waindigo.712/

So I guess it would be just a case of ensuring the information is rendered on the page in a way in which Google can read it.
    Steven UK likes this.
  20. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

SEO God must be some troll from IPB. Ignore him.
    Adam Howard likes this.