XF 2.1 Unfurling URLs, Emoji enhancements and video uploads

Here we go! We're four HYS threads in already and you might be wondering just how many there are left. Well, I can't tell you 😉 But what I can tell you is - we're not even half way through yet! In case you've not yet seen the previous entries, you can check them out here.

As ever, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend caressing that "Watch forum" link and make sure you enable email notifications if you haven't done so already 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know is it reported, (if it is, delete this post ;) ) but some letters are missing when Expanding Links..

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been explained already but is unfurling retroactive or only new posts after upgrade? Is only new, is there a tool to rebuild and unfurl past posts?

No it’s not retroactive and it is only new posts and there is no rebuild.

Not recommended either. It’s a significant amount of work for very little benefit and it significantly changes the appearance of a post from what was intended.

Two questions.

1) When fetching the URL to unfurl, the other site will get a hit, meaning for those hiding their server IP through a proxy like Cloudflare this feature will expose it, correct? Similar to fetching images for the Proxy images feature, right?

2) Any way to change the short code for an emoji? An emoji and a long time used smiley I use have the same short code, the easy way to way would be to rename the smiley replacement text but my users would prefer to keep our old decade plus smiley in use than the new emoji.

Thanks

We've made a few changes here related to video uploads.

First and foremost there is a global option so you can switch off video uploads entirely. Furthermore, this gives you a separate max file size value specifically for videos:

View attachment 187913

You may note from the text there that video upload extensions are applied automatically. This means you do not need to set any specific extensions as allowed. These extensions represent the types that we would expect to play without issue in a wide variety of browsers.

We have also added new permissions so that you can choose to enable video uploads only for specific users/groups.

Video upload support is now also content type specific so developers may need to add additional code and optionally additional permissions to control video uploads in their custom attachment handlers.
Is there a recommended max size that seems reasonable for video upload?

1) When fetching the URL to unfurl, the other site will get a hit, meaning for those hiding their server IP through a proxy like Cloudflare this feature will expose it, correct? Similar to fetching images for the Proxy images feature, right?
That is correct. There are config.php options to allow the HTTP connections to go through a proxy, if you set something like that up.

2) Any way to change the short code for an emoji? An emoji and a long time used smiley I use have the same short code, the easy way to way would be to rename the smiley replacement text but my users would prefer to keep our old decade plus smiley in use than the new emoji.
There aren't any options surrounding this. I think it may be possible via an add-on though (haven't really checked).

An emoji and a long time used smiley I use have the same short code

Would that be the sunglasses (formally cool) emoji? I've noticed the smiley version of this gets converted here on XenForo.com from 😎 (in editor) to 🆒 (when previewed/posted). The problem is the default shortcode for this smiley is :cool:. Perhaps the smiley shortcode could be renamed to :sunglasses: and keep the secondary shortcode 8-) as-is?

Would that be the sunglasses (formally cool) emoji? I've noticed the smiley version of this gets converted here on XenForo.com from 😎 (in editor) to 🆒 (when previewed/posted). The problem is the default shortcode for this smiley is :cool:. Perhaps the smiley shortcode could be renamed to :sunglasses: and keep the secondary shortcode 8-) as-is?

For me it was the :handshake: and :thinking: smiley but yeah it's this same problem. I don't know how the system got implemented but if there was an emoji admin page exactly like the smiley admin page it would be great. We would be able to edit the emoji shortcode to the Unicode Codepoint of each emoji. For example the :handshake: smiley is codepoint U+1F91D. Like that each customer could decide which smiley or emoji takes over a particular shortcode instead of defaulting to emojis having precedence over smileys.

There are config.php options to allow the HTTP connections to go through a proxy, if you set something like that up.

I setup a tinyproxy install and it's working flawlessly with unfurls and image proxy fetches. Thanks.

This is a great addition to XenForo! My forum has hundreds of YouTube creators. Can't wait to see what all we will be able to do with this new addition.

Any reason the unfurling image is so tiny?
Yes , it would be really nice if it was larger.

You can always change it with the extra style sheet.

Appearance > Search templates > Title contains: extra.less > Search button

Click on the file it finds and add this code to it, then save.

CSS:
.bbCodeBlock--unfurl .contentRow-minor {
    font-size: 20px;
}

.bbCodeBlock--unfurl .bbCodeBlockUnfurl-icon {
    width: 20px;
}

Adjust the 20px size to your liking, current default is 12px. The top one is the URL text size portion and the bottom one is the icon size. My advice is to make them both the same size as to keep them symmetrical.

Click on the file it finds and add this code to it, then save.
This doesn't seem to work for me. When I inspect the elements I don't see those classes anywhere. The div class the image is appears to be "contentRow-figure contentRow-figure--fixedSmall js-unfurl-figure"

Furthermore, people should understand images in unfurled links can cause poor performance because they often are loading huge images provided from the source and then resized by css to fit the snippet. I just had a link load an image that was 1910x1000. Imagine a thread with a couple dozen unfurled links with images that size. Big time file loads for little purpose.

We keep seeing a lot of support related posts in HYS threads.

As always, support questions must be posted in the relevant customer forum.

You guys are great. Many thanks to those who contributed

I wish that such a root group does not restrict permissions. To show content to each group in this way

V.İ.P members will be able to see. Content that will appear to normal members

If you have a paid add-on
i want to buy

Top Bottom