XF 2.1 Unfurling URLs, Emoji enhancements and video uploads

Here we go! We're four HYS threads in already and you might be wondering just how many there are left. Well, I can't tell you 😉 But what I can tell you is - we're not even half way through yet! In case you've not yet seen the previous entries, you can check them out here.

As ever, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend caressing that "Watch forum" link and make sure you enable email notifications if you haven't done so already 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
Can the unfurled images be used with the image proxy? Just realized from testing that the thumbnail in an unfurled link is hotlinking from the remote server.

Can the unfurled images be used with the image proxy? Just realized from testing that the thumbnail in an unfurled link is hotlinking from the remote server.
Should be using the image proxy already and looking at some existing unfurls it seems to. Will look into it though.

Hi Chris, is there ability to blacklist domains where you dont want the links to unfurl from? For example i dont want internal links from my site to be unfurled, is that possible?

What on earth is URL unfurling?

I'll just show you. It's easier!

View attachment 185717

When a URL is inserted into content and that URL exists on its own line within the content, we will "unfurl" it to a richer preview which includes the page title, metadata logo, description and favicon. Such rich previews add more context for users as to what the link contains. URL unfurling can be used anywhere that accepts BB code currently.

The functionality is enabled by default, but you can switch it off if you want to in the "Messages" section of the Admin CP.

I noticed, allot of urls we post do not unfurl. A link to the url shows instead of unfurling. Is this because there is no meta info?

www.google.com

Either no meta info or posting from iOS using the advanced editor would cause an URL to not unfurl.

Either no meta info or posting from iOS using the advanced editor would cause an URL to not unfurl.

Does it only unfurl urls hosted on your server? Or will posted external urls unfurl as well?

So I guess its hit or miss with me. I see that I can post the same url on it's own line with the same mobile device (Samsung Galaxy s8+) and the url unfurls sometimes and others not.

Advanced editor prevents unfurling? So does it make sense to disable advance editor to unfurl?

If I post googles url here on it's own line, it doesnt unfurl for me but when you quoted my post with the google link in it above, it unfurled.

www.google.com

Try on here after turning off the advanced editor.

Top Bottom