XF 2.1 Unfurling URLs, Emoji enhancements and video uploads

Here we go! We're four HYS threads in already and you might be wondering just how many there are left. Well, I can't tell you šŸ˜‰ But what I can tell you is - we're not even half way through yet! In case you've not yet seen the previous entries, you can check them out here.

As ever, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend caressing that "Watch forum" link and make sure you enable email notifications if you haven't done so already šŸ™‚

Last edited by a moderator:
It mostly just looks up the actual emoji short code so :sad would only really search for emojis whose short code starts with :sad and it is more performant that way. But, the emoji/smilie menu in the editor certainly does a more fuzzy search so you'd get:
Do you think that could be possible add the ā€œfuzzy searchā€ kick in after the : and not only in the emoji/smilie menu in the editor?

Cloudflare max upload limit is a real concern for some https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/e...-can-I-change-the-client-maximum-upload-size- but not sure how many forums will have storage space to host 1000s of video uploads ?

Curious @Chris D how will Xenforo.com forums handle XF 2.1 video uploads as you are also using Cloudflare here on this forum as well ? You'll be disabling video uploads for this forum when XF 2.1 comes out or limiting below 100MB ?

Cloudflare free plan limit is 100MB, business is 200MB and enterpise is 500MB.

It is often fun to see the speculation, but at the same time I don't like it, especially when you're slightly off the mark. So I will say, there's no plans for any sort of scheduled post implementation in XF 2.1.

The @XenForo posts on bug reports are something relatively new, but it's not related to XF 2.1. You may have seen similar posts posted by me and Mike.

These posts simply represent something we implemented internally as a QoL improvement to help us deal with bug reports in a bit more of a seamless way.

Without boring you with too many particular technical details, once we have pushed a fix to GitHub, we have it set up to send us information of those fixes via a GitHub webhook. We process these webhooks and the information in our commit messages in order to log details for changelogs so we can auto generate our release notes for announcement threads, we automatically post in the original bug report thread, apply a desired prefix and move it to the resolved forum.

Previously all of this was totally manual and now it is mostly automatic.

Cloudflare max upload limit is a real concern for some https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/e...-can-I-change-the-client-maximum-upload-size- but not sure how many forums will have storage space to host 1000s of video uploads ?

Curious @Chris D how will Xenforo.com forums handle XF 2.1 video uploads as you are also using Cloudflare here on this forum as well ? You'll be disabling video uploads for this forum when XF 2.1 comes out or limiting below 100MB ?

Cloudflare free plan limit is 100MB, business is 200MB and enterpise is 500MB.
You can bypass cloudflares 100mb limit with this http://www.resumablejs.com :)

and dont worry about hosting 1000s of videos storage space is so cheap now...backblaze does 1TB for $5/month :)

Yeah, I absolutely love the video upload feature, but I have a very large forum so I'm not sure if I will be allowing video uploads because of file storage.

I would love to see this feature paired with native support for cloud storage of user attachments, like S3 or, ideally, Backblaze B2. Using B2 storage combined with their new free egress Bandwidth Alliance partnership with Cloudflare means that forum owners could cheaply host lots of large video files with no concern over bandwidth charges. It would allow us to finally compete with the likes of YouTube and Vimeo and keep visitors on our site.

If you're referring specifically to Backblaze, there is a Flysystem handler for it -- https://github.com/mhetreramesh/flysystem-backblaze so realistically it's just a matter of loading in this library and setting it up in your config.php. Will have to manually move existing attachments over
I keep seeing this referred to, and as someone who understands the coding for XF2, I'm sure this make perfect sense to you. So how would someone who doesn't.....like myself, get this implemented? If the XF team could at least provide one full working example documented, I'm sure a lot more people would take advantage of it (myself included).

I keep seeing this referred to, and as someone who understands the coding for XF2, I'm sure this make perfect sense to you. So how would someone who doesn't.....like myself, get this implemented? If the XF team could at least provide one full working example documented, I'm sure a lot more people would take advantage of it (myself included).
Yeah, it's all very cool, but "filesystem abstraction" sounds a lot like "good luck trying to troubleshoot this when it stops working for no reason in two years".

Their will be option available to allow video uploading or limit the saize of videos to be upload. :unsure:
Which means most people will get an error once they try to upload. It depends on the forum's size/user database, but let's say you limit 30MB per upload, most people will get an error unless the video is less than 15-20 sec.

A 720p video with a bitrate of 17Mbps is about 100MB/minute. A 1080p video with 28Mbps is about 210MB/minute.
Not practical in terms of hosting these days unless you get a VPS/Dedicated server just for uploads...

Example: 10 video uploads of 30MB/week = 300MB/week X 4 weeks = 1.2GB/month X 12 months = 14.4GB
If you increase the upload limit to 100MB/1 min 720p upload you're taking about 50GB/year. And that's only from 10 video uploads a week.
If you have a dedicated server, yeah no problem just stick there 1TB HDD and you're good to go. But most people don't need/have a dedicated server.... compression is doable, just needs more development. Pics compression would also be appreciated.

Top Bottom