XF 2.1 Unfurling URLs, Emoji enhancements and video uploads

Here we go! We're four HYS threads in already and you might be wondering just how many there are left. Well, I can't tell you šŸ˜‰ But what I can tell you is - we're not even half way through yet! In case you've not yet seen the previous entries, you can check them out here.

As ever, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend caressing that "Watch forum" link and make sure you enable email notifications if you haven't done so already šŸ™‚

Last edited by a moderator:
Which means most people will get an error once they try to upload. It depends on the forum's size/user database, but let's say you limit 30MB per upload, most people will get an error unless the video is less than 15-20 sec.

A 720p video with a bitrate of 17Mbps is about 100MB/minute. A 1080p video with 28Mbps is about 210MB/minute.
Not practical in terms of hosting these days unless you get a VPS/Dedicated server just for uploads...

Example: 10 video uploads of 30MB/week = 300MB/week X 4 weeks = 1.2GB/month X 12 months = 14.4GB
If you increase the upload limit to 100MB/1 min 720p upload you're taking about 50GB/year. And that's only from 10 video uploads a week.
If you have a dedicated server, yeah no problem just stick there 1TB HDD and you're good to go. But most people don't need/have a dedicated server.... compression is doable, just needs more development. Pics compression would also be appreciated.

You dont need a vps or dedicated server to host your videos....you use a scalable cloud server

this is 2018 and data is CHEAP.....im using digitalocean spaces to host my videos

$5 per month
250 GB of storage
1 TB of outbound transfer
$0.02 per additional GB stored ($20 per 1TB)
$0.01 per additional GB transferred ($10 per 1TB)

And if you need cheaper storage space you can use Backblaze B2

Storage 1TB = $5
Bandwidth 1TB = $10

:)

It would be good if there was client side checking of file size for videos before uploading too. So the user can get feedback before attempting to upload and using data and bandwidth if the file ends up being too large.

I tested the media gallery and it did begin uploading a 300MB video file, even though my gallery limit is set to 100MB.

Once I tried a 2GB file though, I got an error straight away for the server limit.

So it seems to be checking the server limit, but potentially not my XF permission limit.

1540486295419.webp

You dont need a vps or dedicated server to host your videos....you use a scalable cloud server

this is 2018 and data is CHEAP.....im using digitalocean spaces to host my videos

$5 per month
250 GB of storage
1 TB of outbound transfer
$0.02 per additional GB stored ($20 per 1TB)
$0.01 per additional GB transferred ($10 per 1TB)

And if you need cheaper storage space you can use Backblaze B2

Storage 1TB = $5
Bandwidth 1TB = $10

:)
As far as I know you can't use another server for files by default. You need a plugin for that. Either way, you can compress the files - it will also be beneficial if you have an external server just for files.

As far as I know you can't use another server for files by default. You need a plugin for that. Either way, you can compress the files - it will also be beneficial if you have an external server just for files.

XF uses FlySystem so you should be able to (relatively) easily use most any adapter for it, you'll just need a way to load it in

Hi Chris,

I prefer that URL's are not unfurled, why because I want to know exactly where the link will go, raw URL's provide important information which unfurling hides.

As it is now if I paste a URL into a message like this:

https://xenforo.com/community/

when I post the reply it gets converted to this:

As it stands I will need to add the BB code like this to to prevent unfurling:

[URL]https://xenforo.com/community/[/URL]

Please do not enable this feature by default. Perhaps add a icon in the editor toolbar to enable unfurling would be a better option.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

I prefer that URL's are not unfurled. As it is now if I paste a URL into a message like this:

https://xenforo.com/community/

when I post the reply it gets converted to this:

View attachment 187492

I know that I can edit the message and edit the BB code by changing this:

[URL unfurl="true"]https://xenforo.com/community/[/URL]

to this:

[URL]https://xenforo.com/community/[/URL]

but that is a real pain. Please do not enable this feature by default. Please make a checkbox in the editor that users can check if they want their URL's unfurled.

Thank you.

I think in a market perspective view, unfurled urls are very good for common internet users and the XF Team did the right thing implementing this.

Internet users love great visual aspects when surfing the web, right? And the embedded content is a great mark in the internet evolution history and very common on any Wordpress site.

And let's face: The model of Forums in today's social network days is hard, even the model is still greatly used by the internet, but we need to keep evolving, specially with little tricks like that to make a more comfortable experience for the users.

Since i opened my Forum (1 month ago), one of the first things that users asked me for was to implement unfurled urls like Wordpress.

But, i think for your niche is not good if you are saying. I'm not a coder, but, i think you can make a addon for disabling that, right?

Why the content in the unfurl quote above is entirely different from the actual content in the quoted post? :rolleyes:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/push-notifications.154592/page-12#post-1296219

Why the content in the unfurl quote above is entirely different from the actual content in the quoted post? :rolleyes:

This is precisely why I dislike Unfurl. When we paste a URL important information is shown. In this example I see it's from a thread called "push-notifications" on the "12th page" and the link goes to a particular post.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/push-notifications.154592/page-12#post-1296219

Perhaps using Unfurl will be okay on some forums, but I think on a technical forum like xenforo.com I think it would be better if Unfurl would be disabled so we can paste URLs and not have them Unfurled.

We've made a few changes here related to video uploads.

First and foremost there is a global option so you can switch off video uploads entirely. Furthermore, this gives you a separate max file size value specifically for videos:

You may note from the text there that video upload extensions are applied automatically. This means you do not need to set any specific extensions as allowed. These extensions represent the types that we would expect to play without issue in a wide variety of browsers.

We have also added new permissions so that you can choose to enable video uploads only for specific users/groups.

Video upload support is now also content type specific so developers may need to add additional code and optionally additional permissions to control video uploads in their custom attachment handlers.

Top Bottom