• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Understanding Permissions

I still may convert it to a page. It was just too easy though. I thought I did something wrong. Pulling an "allnighter" tends to do that to a person... ;)

Extremely minor suggestions, but keeping in mind that the people that most need to understand these things will need everything as clear as possible..

Not Set (No) / Inherit

Maybe keep that just "Not Set (No)" then explain in the text?

Extremely minor suggestions, but keeping in mind that the people that most need to understand these things will need everything as clear as possible..

Not Set (No) / Inherit

Maybe keep that just "Not Set (No)" then explain in the text?

Done.

I have a Best Practices question regarding permissions. I made a node Private, then I set Allow View Node permissions to registered users. All was fine when I tested with users. When I tested with an admin, he was not able to see the node. To correct this issue would you recommend:

A) Provide all admins/mods with Registered permissions in addition to their own? Or

B) Adjust the Node permissions of the Administrative group so they have Allow View Node permissions?

I realize either way will yield the same result, but I presume one method has some benefits which I cannot visualize at this stage.

In my case for my private forum areas, I pretty much used your second option: I set my administrator and moderator groups to Allow View Node also. I figure it is safer to disallow everyone, then selectively allow only specific usergroups back in.

I understand how it all works now, but it still took me awhile to figure out that even administrators can't see the private forum areas unless they are specifically given permissions. I'm just used to the way every other forum system works: admins see all, and do all.

I have a Best Practices question regarding permissions. I made a node Private, then I set Allow View Node permissions to registered users. All was fine when I tested with users. When I tested with an admin, he was not able to see the node.
If your admin was also a member of the registered users group, as he should be, then he would also have had access to the private node.

If you really want to follow best practices then you should be using cumulative permissions, adding members to additional usergroups as required.

All of my administrators, moderators, premium members, etc. are all members of the registered users group as their primary group.
Every other group is a secondary.

No matter which combination we try, we can't figure out why the moderators don't see the moderation tools. Here's the situation:
- We have several closed forums with corresponding groups, and the moderators are each also members of one or more of these closed groups.
Their primary group is set to "registered user", with secondary group(s) being the various closed forums they relate to.
I have set the rights of the "registered user" group to include everything except moderator permissions.

When I remove any of the moderators from one of the secondary groups, the moderator tools appear (but then they don't see the closed forums, naturally).
What am I doing wrong??

When I remove any of the moderators from one of the secondary groups, the moderator tools appear (but then they don't see the closed forums, naturally).

It sounds like the secondary group has Revoke or Never set for some moderator permissions. That would explain why that group is taking away the user's mod permissions.

Jake, thanks for your prompt reply!

OK, so I don't quite get it - if I set the moderator permissions in the secondary group to "allow", won't that give those members moderator permissions (which I don't want to do)?

You're talking about the node permissions, correct? Or do I need to set their permissions to "not set" in the user group permissions as well?

You're talking about the node permissions, correct? Or do I need to set their permissions to "not set" in the user group permissions as well?
For each of the secondary groups (with exception to 'Moderating') and for the Registered Users group, change the group permission for "Forum Moderator Permissions" to Not Set. If it is set to 'Never', and a user is part of that group and the 'Moderating' group, they won't be granted the moderating permissions.

Thanks, both of you guys, it's starting to become clear now.
biggrin.png

i have a question,

so you set the permissions of MODERATING in users-->user group permissions

now when you add a moderator in users-->moderators
and you set that user into a specific forum

you will be given with a page that shows several options
Add Moderator to User Groups: (i checked here moderating)

Now below it has several checkbox.
my question is,

Whats the difference between the checkbox and the permissions you set in MODERATING usergroup?

thanks

Top Bottom