[UI Change] What's New has a new position

Grover

I always thought the What's New link being the first in line of ... What's New, Mark All Forums Read, Watched Threads was somehow not quite right. Also I remember Kier posting the same somewhere (can not find it back... where is that XF Bookmark function?) . Can not explain really why it felt that way (maybe because in vBulletin it has a more prominent place more to the right, don't know), but now they've moved it to the right! :).

Upvote 0
I'm guessing because the poster preferred it that way?
As did a lot of others, me included.
Im pretty sure it's a matter of How it was first and then changed. If it was like this at first and changed to the what's new on the left im sure some people would find it weird. Just need some time to get used to.

Thing is, they had it like this the first week. When they changed it to be how it was the last week, everybody complained it changed and they didn't like it. It's changed back, and of course people don't like it.

I'd give it some time to get used to it, it's all muscle memory.

I have not seen arguments in this thread where people at least convince me personally as to why it is a bad change, imagine if it was like this from the get go, and never changed .. then I believe it is only down to personal preference.

I still find it illogical to have the mark-read on the first link, left, but that's because I never mark anything read, ever. Unlike a lot of other people who say they do it constantly. It's preference.

Just need some time to get used to.
I disagree.
The current layout makes no sense to me so I will never get used to it.
I read left to right, not right to left.

Instead I will edit the template to put the most used items on the left, the same with the account page where I will put the most used items at the top; e.g. Watched Threads will go above Your Alerts, etc.

I am surprised you're not putting news-feed first, then what's new, and then watched threads, and move mark read to the right :)

What's New | Watched Threads | Mark Forums Read

This is the most logical order. It's listed by priority (most hits/usage).

What's New is listed first because that's how Guests see it. The minute you change the location of an object you force the user to learn the UI all over again. In this case, when a GUEST registers they learn that What's New is not on the same spot.

Mark Forums Read gets the least amount of clicks. It is a low priority for many visitors. Therefore, it should be the last on the list.

As a staff/admin, yes, the current setup may makes sense to you (you click Mark Forums Read often) but as a "visitor" the Mark Forums Read is the last thing they think about. Most people still don't even know what it does.

Remember, the layout (UI) should work best for the average visitor not the staff or admin. And, the location of a UI object should never have to change because of the user's status.

just my 2¢

It seems backwards to me. I prefer the most used things to be on the left, because that is where my eyes naturally go to first. In fact, I was nearly posting a thread for the missing 'what's new' link until I saw it at the last min.

Agh! Accidentally clicked Mark all Forums Read. Luckily there was a confirmation pop up :eek:

Suppose I will get used to it :)

What's New | Watched Threads | Mark Forums Read

This is the most logical order. It's listed by priority (most hits/usage).

What's New is listed first because that's how Guests see it. The minute you change the location of an object you force the user to learn the UI all over again. In this case, when a GUEST registers they learn that What's New is not on the same spot.

Mark Forums Read gets the least amount of clicks. It is a low priority for many visitors. Therefore, it should be the last on the list.

As a staff/admin, yes, the current setup may makes sense to you (you click Mark Forums Read often) but as a "visitor" the Mark Forums Read is the last thing they think about. Most people still don't even know what it does.

Remember, the layout (UI) should work best for the average visitor not the staff or admin. And, the location of a UI object should never have to change because of the user's status.

just my 2¢
I disagree, not being a left to right reader (as far as links are concerned).

IMO - least used links should be out of the way - over to the left. Most used links should be right in front of you.
I don't use Watched Threads at all, so I feel it should be all the way over to the left. However, I'm willing to settle for how it is now. I have my What's New link right in front of me. :D

Agh! Accidentally clicked Mark all Forums Read. Luckily there was a confirmation pop up :eek:
That's what I was doing when What's New was moved to the left and Mark All Forums Read was to the right (center). I was constantly clicking that, because I'm used to links that I use all the time being right in front of me.

I guess one way makes sense to some, and the other makes sense to the rest.

That's what I was doing when What's New was moved to the left and Mark All Forums Read was to the right (center). I was constantly clicking that, because I'm used to links that I use all the time being right in front of me.

I guess one way makes sense to some, and the other makes sense to the rest.
I think I'd just got used to it there.

IMO - least used links should be out of the way - over to the left. Most used links should be right in front of you.
I don't use Watched Threads at all, so I feel it should be all the way over to the left. However, I'm willing to settle for how it is now. I have my What's New link right in front of me. :D
if I'm reading this correctly...
you are saying that the least used links should be the last on the list - if so, then you agree with what I'm saying ;)

Quick Links
  1. What's New
  2. Watched Threads
  3. Mark all forums read
this is how it is right now:

Quick Links
  • Mark all forums read
  • Watched Threads
  • What's New?

you are saying that the least used links should be the last on the list - if so, then you agree with what I'm saying ;)
That's correct although I believe I said it first the last time this issue was discussed in depth ;)

Let's just say I'm glad the Mark All confirmation box was added, with this new location i've clicked it 8 times trying to find out whats new:). I could really care less about positioning because in the end it's a simple style edit I'm sure :).

You can argue it either way, and I have. For languages that read left to right, it seems logical to have the most important/ most used stuff first (on the left). Others have made the argument that the most used/most important stuff should be closest to the middle of the screen where you mouse pointer probably already is. This would mean the "What's New" link should be to the right of the others.

Bottom line is at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. You can change it if you want to. Or you can just get used to where it is and let muscle memory take over. Let's leave the dead horse alone.

It seems backwards to me. I prefer the most used things to be on the left, because that is where my eyes naturally go to first. In fact, I was nearly posting a thread for the missing 'what's new' link until I saw it at the last min.

Hi Kerry-Anne,

Don't you have a problem then with 'Quote-Replying' to a thread? See: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/reply-link-need-to-be-more-prominent.1175/#post-36821

^This. Perfectly explains the reasons why the current implementation is so good (and correct).

this is how it is right now:

Quick Links
  • Mark all forums read
  • Watched Threads
  • What's New?
and this is how I'm saying that I prefer it. What's new is in front of me because it's the more important of the 3 links. :)

The least used links should be to the left, out of my way, as I don't use them much.

Top Bottom