[UI Change] What's New has a new position

Grover

I always thought the What's New link being the first in line of ... What's New, Mark All Forums Read, Watched Threads was somehow not quite right. Also I remember Kier posting the same somewhere (can not find it back... where is that XF Bookmark function?) . Can not explain really why it felt that way (maybe because in vBulletin it has a more prominent place more to the right, don't know), but now they've moved it to the right! :).

Upvote 0
I keep almost hitting "Mark all forums read" (because I'm used to that spot being "New posts" on vB), which I don't want to do since I haven't come even close to reading everything and still want to! Luckily, there's another confirmation screen beforehand that kept me from doing so--thank goodness for that. :)

Being a LTR reader, I kinda thought the logical order would be:

Watched Threads | What's New | Mark Forums Read

When I log on, I may want to check my watched threads first; if not, I'd want to see what's new. My last priority is to mark forums read.

Don't forget, it's just muscle memory, if you never knew better, it would be equally annoying the first 10 minutes, if it was the other way around :)

As long as the link is on the left/right, I think it's easy to find, logical and a step to get used to.

There were a *lot* of subtle changes in the navbar, before the "forums" drop down menu needed to be used much of the time, and that took some reasonably well controlled mouse movement. Now the "watched threads" and "Whats New" are big buttons that stay in the same place every time. Much much quicker!

No more clutter in the watched threads view either, such as setting avatars, privacy details, email, etc.

Awesome! At least 10x faster to navigate.

:)

Awesome! At least 10x faster to navigate.

:)
I love your enthusiasm.
ohyes.gif

So I wasn't completely crazy when I marked all forums read 3 times today at 4 AM ??
Thanks! :D

EDIT:
I like it where it is right now.

Being a LTR reader, I kinda thought the logical order would be:

Watched Threads | What's New | Mark Forums Read

When I log on, I may want to check my watched threads first; if not, I'd want to see what's new. My last priority is to mark forums read.
Same here..

The new order is backwards to me.

There seem to be 2 camps.

The left-to-right camp and the middle-of-the-screen-outwards camp.

Unfortunately the latter camp seems to have won.

What we have now is a mixture with the top navigation bar being left-to-right, unless "Help" is the most commonly used tab? and the lower navigation bar being right-to-left.

I do agree, it should be in order of how often they're used.

No. It depends on the way a certain function is used. It doesn't always have to fit (like here -screenshot included) in the 'most used comes first in line'. This 'What's New' is a perfect example of that.

It is not that easy to create a good solid UI, but really XenForo nailed it almost perfectly in the whole package. I keep being impressed.

Top Bottom