Ubuntu 12.04

Surprised no one is Red Hat fans ;)
Meh.

Far to closed source now. Even when it was open though; I never grew a liking for it.

Fedora which is the open source end (Red Hat) of things, is very unstable and never secure. Which is where Cent OS originally grew from (they'll say Red Hat, I'll say Fedora).

I miss Mandrake Linux for what it originally started out as. Ubuntu reminds me of it in some ways, but thankfully so far has not lost sight in their original vision. Although I think Unity may have been their 1st mistake.

SuSe Linux is the distro that I've learned to love and hate. They seem to flip-flop on their vision and I never know truly what to expect from them. But I still follow them in their progress. It's a love and hate thing.

Mint Linux picks up were many believe Ubuntu should go and often I see Ubuntu Developers lurking within their project. It's not as stable as Ubuntu and often I feel as though it is missing something.

Debian is my all time favorite, but a lot of people shy away from this because it has a past history of not updating things. But that of course isn't so any more and Debian 7 is just around the corner. And if you're using Ubuntu, you're basically using alot that is built from Debian 7 with some mild impute from Debian 8 (not much, but it is there).

Yay! Another person who used to run Mandrake! I agree, that was probably one of the best distros ever. Of course, I'm biased since it was my first, and got me into the whole Linux sphere. As far as Red Hat goes, they apparently have been going on a downward trend for popularity, despite their profit. Fedora was a pretty good OS, too, up until it changed from Fedora Core to just Fedora.

I actually was a huge Fedora fan, but stopped at 9, and haven't had any big desire to use it again. Every 6 months it's worth a try to see what they're up to, but I've found that I really like Unity a whole lot more than Gnome 3.

If we're talking about Debian, it's pretty nice, too. I respect their decisions regarding branding, too (for Mozilla's IP), and appreciate the fact they call it GNU/Linux. I've used Sid for a server environment, but I can't imagine it as a full blown desktop.

But the primary reason Ubuntu does it for me is the documentation, forums and sheer amount of sources I can find whenever I run into a problem. I'm pretty sure whenever I have an issue, somebody else has already made a post and found an answer before me. :)

Meh.

Far to closed source now. Even when it was open though; I never grew a liking for it.

Fedora which is the open source end (Red Hat) of things, is very unstable and never secure. Which is where Cent OS originally grew from (they'll say Red Hat, I'll say Fedora).

I miss Mandrake Linux for what it originally started out as. Ubuntu reminds me of it in some ways, but thankfully so far has not lost sight in their original vision. Although I think Unity may have been their 1st mistake.

SuSe Linux is the distro that I've learned to love and hate. They seem to flip-flop on their vision and I never know truly what to expect from them. But I still follow them in their progress. It's a love and hate thing.

Mint Linux picks up were many believe Ubuntu should go and often I see Ubuntu Developers lurking within their project. It's not as stable as Ubuntu and often I feel as though it is missing something.

Debian is my all time favorite, but a lot of people shy away from this because it has a past history of not updating things. But that of course isn't so any more and Debian 7 is just around the corner. And if you're using Ubuntu, you're basically using alot that is built from Debian 7 with some mild impute from Debian 8 (not much, but it is there).
I like(d) Mandriva, they have allot of good stuff there, but it always falls short in some reason for me. Their control panel is by far the best one out there, and their ndiswrapper tool is nothing short of brilliant (it even removes alternative drivers). However, it still falls a bit short for me...

Fedora, I am not so sure what to say about. I liked their XFCE spin, but I never got around to love it.

SuSE is one distro I really like, but for some reason I always get hardware crash on that one. Also dependency hell was a nightmare. They have sorted it out a bit, but I still feel their package manager are a bit rough.

Mint was a distro I used for a year or so, but in the end I grew tired of it. I didn't like how they held back updates from Ubuntu, and I didn't like the direction it was taking. Also the whole debacle when you didn't enable root account, it basically locked you out of recovery mode.

Debian is meh, especially as a desktop. If I go that route, I much prefer Arch Linux, it is so fast and so easy to configure. And pacman is just beautiful, and rc.conf just makes it so easy to configure your system. I really wanted to install it on my desktop, but I never got the wireless to work on the install CD, so I am holding it back..

Top Bottom