Ubuntu 12.04

Nvidia support Linux with drivers. I know mine are listed. But does Ubuntu support running SLI mode (twin graphics cards) in combo.

And compare that picture to this of mine. You can see why I want to try Ubuntu! :cautious:

Snap1.webp

No, tried Vista and had issues, lots of issues. I hear Win 7 is very good, but my motherboard is too old now really and some things have to be disabled in Bios even using Vista because they are not supported. Such as Serial and Midi Port. But Vista kept giving me Blue screen of death and it lasted about 2 days before I dropped it like a lead weight putting XP back on. Seemed nice at first, but it made hard work of everything compared to XP for me.

Too much eye candy and not enough user friendliness using it. Suspect I'd feel the same way about Win 7

No, tried Vista and had issues, lots of issues. I hear Win 7 is very good, but my motherboard is too old now really and some things have to be disabled in Bios even using Vista because they are not supported. Such as Serial and Midi Port. But Vista kept giving me Blue screen of death and it lasted about 2 days before I dropped it like a lead weight putting XP back on. Seemed nice at first, but it made hard work of everything compared to XP for me.

Too much eye candy and not enough user friendliness using it. Suspect I'd feel the same way about Win 7
Windows 7 is exactly what Windows Vista should have been.

But in doing some research on your motherboard.... Yikes! At its time it was the most powerhouse you could find, but it was one of those early "Microsoft designed" hardware which was customed to Windows XP (and XP only).

Thankfully that kind of thinking and hardware never took off. And while I'm sure a lot is still made with Windows in mind... It's not "locked in"

Yikes! At its time it was the most powerhouse you could find, but it was one of those early "Microsoft designed" hardware which was customed to Windows XP (and XP only).

Exactly, at the time I built it XP was the latest O/S and was built to be an ultimate gaming machine around XP. I even use the matching Corsair memory specifically designed for the motherboard. And went for it because it also uses SLI graphics that was a new thing then for gaming giving much more graphics power using two cards in combo

But that's the downfall really, it's one those funny motherboards that doesn't sit well used with another O/S, other than XP only.

Exactly, at the time I built it XP was the latest O/S and was built to be an ultimate gaming machine, I even use the matching Corsair memory specifically designed for the motherboard.
While I love trying to get people to convert away from Microsoft... In your case, Windows XP maybe the best for you on that PC

I'd suggest when you're ready for a new PC (wait until late 2012 or sometime 2013.... With Windows 8 coming out, hardware companies normally wait to reveal their new toys) ..... Think about SSD for hard drive and nvidia for video. Don't depend so much on anything onboard, but do get a motherboard which can be upgraded for future use. Also think 64 bit for everything.

May I ask why people would switch away from windows? (I find win7) prity damn good bettering winxp.

What are the benefits of switching? Or is this another case of "I'm using linux because it makes me look cool" much like when you see those buying apple products because of that awesomeness badge on the back. :D *waits, pauses and runs from the apple brigade* Seriously though, what are the benfits of a linux over win7 OS?
To me Win 7 is good enough, nothing more. Things are still a pain, and you still don't have a proper way to stop the reboot nagging after every update (at least you can shut it up 4 hours at a time). Some of the reasons I prefer Linux is:

1. Better performance, by far, especially if you are like me and use XFCE
2. GNOME Do (seriously, it is awesome)
3. Permissions are properly handled (Windows 7 / Vista tried to correct it a bit)
4. Package managers (seriously, one click and update all your software)
5. Theming is nice, but a proper customization of the 3D effects is pretty awesome as well

Also, windows is still heavily bloated, there are even applications installed you can't uninstall (Windows Defender and IE comes to mind).

I attempted to switch away from windows about 6 months ago, I formatted the laptop and did a clean install of whatever the latest LTS was at the time. I suffered terrible problems with the laptop grinding and stuttering, tried all sorts of fixes then eventually put w7 back on. I'm in the process of building a new HTPC, when it's finished I'll give Ubuntu one more go.
I can only guess that this was due to load cycles on your disc, I know this was a problem a few years back, though I thought that was solved now. I usually use smartmontools to monitor my discs on laptops, though I haven't had Linux on a laptop for a couple of years now..

The kernel should support it, but it might be disabled by default. You will probably have to edit fstab and add discard to mount options, you also should use ext4 as file system, I don't think it is supported in ext3 or lower.

Do you know if the kernal supports TRIM in SSDs yet? It didn't 2 years ago when I built my last system.
SSD support was a priority a while back. I believe 12.04 has improved that support. With this said, I would assume TRIM support was included in that.

But as stated, I'm not sure if it was turned on by default (I believe it is though).

I use Ubuntu on my main development machine at work ( I only do backend PHP work for a living no design or front end work ) So I don't need photoshop etc etc. But at home, the only way I could give up on using Windows on my desktop would be if the new Adobe cloud works out and runs well in linux.

GIMP is free and is an effective Photoshop clone.
It is effective, but when your workflow is memorized and you know the functions backwards and forwards along with the shortcut keys it's nice to have old familiar when I need to use it. And honestly it doesn't bother me to be running linux, windows and Mac OS, keeps my IT support skills up to date.

Top Bottom